Happy 40th Birthday, Jim!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wyoming » Moran
June 3rd 2010
Published: June 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

The BIG 40!!The BIG 40!!The BIG 40!!

Happy birthday, Jim. May all your birthday wishes come true...especially if it involves traveling all over the states with your family.
June 2, 2010 -
First things first: HAPPY 40th BIRTHDAY, JIM!! Since I’m blogging this after the fact, I know that your birthday wish to arise next to majestic mountains and a pretty lake will come true today. In fact, God will put a rainbow in the sky for you first thing this morning! It was wonderful to spend the day hiking with you and you just can’t beat Reese’s birthday cake at the campsite. I’ll let you tell the rest of the story…

What a way to spend your 40th birthday. Our morning started out with a nice ride through the country side. With the rain and all, we decided we might just take the scenic drive to see how the day would shape up. A Wyominger once told me that, “In Wyoming, if you don’t like the weather, wait 15 minutes and it will change.” Well, sure enough the sun started poking out. We decided to take advantage of one of our “must sees”, Jenny Lake.

The drive to the trail head was beautiful with breathtaking vista of the Grand Tetons. How small we are. At Jenny Lake, we opted to take a ½ loop around the lake then catch the ferry across to our starting spot.

The scent of the forest was so clean with a crisp cedar. The water was crystal clear. We found a small lake just off the trail that we were able to spot a moose grazing below. A Notre Dame Grad at the same location told us that they had just watched a grizzly leave that same area.

Let’s see, so far, we have seen deer, buffalo, mountain goats, pronghorn antelope, moose, chipmunks, elk and something the cross between a otter and a beaver. I think they call it a marmot. I also keep seeing statues and cut outs of something called a jack-a-lope. We haven’t seen one of those yet.

While on this trail, we added on the Cascade Falls extra and Inspiration Point. No, not the one on Happy Days. The views of all of them were spectacular. The falls were running so fast it is easy to see how mountains are carved out of them. Inspiration Point was at an elevation of 7200 feet. We were so proud of how far we ascended only to see, from the ferry ride back, that we had only traversed a smidgen of the distance to the summit. Boy, it sure felt like we were on top of that mountain!

The evening at camp was just as enjoyable. We made a nice birthday dinner and Karen and the kids made me a Reese Peanut Butter Cup no-bake dessert. The kids played games and read while Karen and I fought with the computer’s air card and this blog. We are going to tackle Day 1 at Yellowstone tomorrow. We hope to add to our wildlife viewing count and the search will continue for the jack-a-lope.

Mom and Dad, thanks for giving me the opportunity to have 40 years. Thank you all for the kind birthday wishes.


Advertisement



3rd June 2010

Happy Birthday!
Happy birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday Mr. Martin...Happy Birthday to you! What a way to spend your 40th!! The Beasley Crew
3rd June 2010

WWWWOOOOOWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!
Oh my goodness we had no idea you guys were doing this awesome adventure. This is exactly what Tim and I would like to do in the future.. You will have to give us opinions on the better places to go... We are so happy for you that you are getting to enjoy the wonderful outdoors... Have fun and be safe!! Love, Shelly and Tim Enjoy
3rd June 2010

yellowstone
When you get to Yellowstone, you need to go across the border into Montana and check out West Yellowstone, Elizabeth's Mike hometown. I think he may even have some relatives or old friends who are tour guides at Yellowstone. Toss out that Roman name - might get you favors
3rd June 2010

Happy Birthday Jim - what a wonderful way to turn 40!!!!!! Seems like each day keeps getting better for you all - well except for the camper-breakdown period.....but even that just added to the adventure of it all - right?
4th June 2010

40
See Jim, being 40 is not too bad. What a great way to celebrate it. You are on top of the hill, not over it. So glad you are seeing all the beautiful sights. Everything here is is good. Jack has begun eating a little better. Dale takes him on daily walks. He loves that. Good night. MiMi
4th June 2010

The Montana Roman's
Your post was so funny and timely. We spent the day at Yellowstone and by the end of the day decided to go out to eat instead of waiting until we returned to the campground. We wound up eating just outside the West Entrance of Yellowstone...in Montana. I think it was just outside the Madison Junction. Anyway, we ate at the Outpost Restaurant. We have thought about Elizabeth and Mike several times. We were even talking about their Holiday stay at Yellowstone last year. - Jim

Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0428s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb