New York City


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
September 20th 2009
Published: October 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Two days and 1000 miles



This past weekend, Sandra and I took a trip down to the New York / New Jersey area. She had come to Maine for three weeks, before her school in Germany starts. All of her life, New York City was her dream destination. I guess after watching american movies her whole life, and New York City being the most populated american city, she wanted to see it with her own two eyes. Also, neither of us had been there to see ground zero, and we thought that this fact would make an NYC trip worthy.

Wes came back from California almost directly after I did in the beginning of the year, so he is living in New Jersey right near philadelphia. I called to ask him if we could stay with him, and he said it was fine. After all, Sandra hadn't even met Wes yet, so it worked out nicely

New York City



The drive down only took about 7 hours. That isn't an extremely far distance to me, but to someone from Europe, it's quite far. Also, the traffic gets more stressful the further away from Maine you drive. We parked in Hoboken, accross the river from the city, technically on the New Jersey side. There was a parking garage there where we could park the car for about 20 dollars. The subway went right under the river to the city, and we got off right near ground zero. We first took in the view, and then began walking toward the water, ending up walking through Battery Park. Our goal was initially to take a boat trip around Liberty Island, because Sandra wanted to see the Statue of Liberty, but the boat tours were really expensive, and the lines were very long. Eventually we abandoned that plan to find something else to do. Most of our city visits around the world have consisted of just walking around, appreciating the culture of the city, and checking out a few sights. This trip was no different, except we had very little time. New York is a large city, and you could spend a week there and still not see everything you want.

After walking up Broadway for a while, we finally made our way to the restaurant that appears in the Seinfeld series. We had a nice lunch while we viewed the pictures and seinfeld souvenirs that were scattered about. Once we left, I snapped a few pictures.

After an extremely long walk from 112th street to 42nd street, it was dark and we were finally at Times Square. This view of the city was exactly like I had imagined. Everything was so big, and there were people and lights everywhere. It would have been nice to stay a bit longer, but at this point it was late and we still had an hour and a half drive to Wes's house.




Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

NYCNYC
NYC

10
NYCNYC
NYC

11
NYCNYC
NYC

12
NYCNYC
NYC

13
NYCNYC
NYC

14
NYCNYC
NYC

15
NYCNYC
NYC

16
NYCNYC
NYC

17


Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0304s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb