Day 10


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
September 23rd 2009
Published: September 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

September 22, 2009
“Bury my heart at wounded knee”. Travelled to a town called Wall today to see the Wounded Knee Museum, hoping it was better than yesterday’s quest. Although small and somewhat “touristy” looking, it gave a descriptive and moving account of what transpired at Wounded Knee. The stories were heart wrenching and deeply affected each of us.
We left the museum and visited Wall Drug which is a well known South Dakota landmark and it reminded us of Clark’s Trading Post on steroids!!! We stayed long enough to sample the fudge (fair) and look in some shops (honky tonk) and then eased on down the road.
Our next stop will probably be remembered as one of the true high points of our trip…and maybe our lives…we visited Mt. Rushmore and words will fail us as we try to describe this experience. We were awestruck by the magnificence of the actual monument but also by the simple beauty of the surrounding areas. Once again, we hope that the pictures will tell the story.
On a lighter note, later in the day we went to dinner where Bill and Donna ate Buffalo….yuck! And as usual while we were trying to plan our next move, John left the room for a moment…and never returned. He was located an hour later in bed napping!!! (He’s not here right now which is why we can pass this on!!!)
Today’s Road Lesson: Don’t let John leave the room!



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.156s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0568s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb