Route 66 Adventure Days 9-10


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
November 17th 2008
Published: March 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Amarillo, TX - Packer GameAmarillo, TX - Packer GameAmarillo, TX - Packer Game

Mulligan's is where we enjoyed watching the Packer Game. Not much to look at but worked out just fine for us.

Day 9 - Sunday, November 16th - Amarillo, TX


We decided to take a quiet day and enjoy the Packer game at a local sports bar - a nice Irish place called Mulligans. Every other time we've done this while traveling, we've always found a contingent of Packer fans. Well, today, there were no Packer fans and really no other fans around at all. There were only a handful of people besides us the whole time. The bartender explained they had had a huge party the night before and it was really, really crowded. That, plus the fact that Dallas was not playing until later in the day, made the place very quiet during the Packer game. It worked out great - the food was really good and it was kind of like having your own place complete with great service.

We had an odd experience toward the end of the game. Packers were way ahead of Chicago in the 4th quarter. All of a sudden, a different game came on. We thought something had happened with their cable but then an announcer game on and stated that because the Packer/Chicago game was no longer competitive, they switched to
Amarillo, TX - ExpresswayAmarillo, TX - ExpresswayAmarillo, TX - Expressway

Guess they wanted to be sure we knew where we were on the Expressway
a different, more interesting game. So, we didn't see the end of the game and were disappointed in spite of knowing the Packers would certainly win. Oh well.

We left the bar and did some local touring before going back to the hotel for a relaxing late afternoon/evening. There is a lot of “old time” stuff to see on Route 66 in Amarillo - Diners, old hotel/motels, gas stations, pubs, stores and the fiberglass ponies around downtown. We could have spent a couple of days experiencing the many individual places in Amarillo. We missed going into “The Big Texan Steak Ranch.” We could have participated in their well known offer - - a free 72 ounce steak if you can consume it with a shrimp cocktail, baked potato, salad, and a roll within one hour. Everything there is super-sized including the pool.

Texas is actually the second shortest of the eight states in terms of Route 66 miles. Amarillo is a good example of why the Texas Route 66 is considered very high in Route 66 attractions and history. Crossing the Texas panhandle, we are definitely getting a feel for the true “Old West.”

Day 10

Amarillo, TX - Auto SalvageAmarillo, TX - Auto SalvageAmarillo, TX - Auto Salvage

We couldn't quite figure out whether this place was still open for business - signage would say no but kinda looked like it was
- Monday, November 17th - Amarillo, TX to Santa Rosa, NM
We saved the Cadillac Ranch for this morning, on our way out of Amarillo. The ranch is actually comprised of ten vintage Cadillacs (1949-1963) buried nose down at the same angle as the great pyramids. Up close, they are covered with 66 graffiti and brilliant colors. They are also decorated for special events. A bit of trivia - the Cadillac Ranch was never officially located on Route 66. It has nonetheless become a Route 66 icon. Bruce Springsteen fans will remember the song from his 1980 album The River. Stanley Marsh 3, the eccentric millionaire and art patron commissioned the “Ant Farm” artist group to install the Cadillacs back in 1974. He is also responsible for some silly, triangle-shaped signs somewhat hidden throughout town.

Most of the Texas route is two-lane, old route 66. Only the last 18 or so miles require entry on to I-40. Even the small towns we went through had Route 66 landmarks and history. We were sad not to have time to stop at more than we did.

One of mention is the Hickory Inn in Vega, TX. We stopped there
Amarillo, TX - African SafariAmarillo, TX - African SafariAmarillo, TX - African Safari

Just a different sign and place
for a late breakfast. Jerry had an outstanding omelet and Rita had what she felt were the best pancakes she had ever tasted. Jerry agreed upon tasting them. It looks similar to an old mobile home parked in a parking lot but don’t be fooled, it was great, great, home-cooking stop. Vega had other attractions such as the 1920s Magnolia Gas Station, Dot’s Mini Museum, and Vega Motel. Quaint little town filled with history.

Adrian (don’t blink or you might miss it) has the bragging rights for being the geographic midpoint of Route 66. However, Adrian has claimed it and some declare Landergin (located between Vega and Adrian) as the true midpoint. Adrian has the historic landmark designation as the midpoint and thus, one just has to stop in at the Mid Point Café and Gift Shop. It’s a stitch and there are midpoint specific souvenirs not found elsewhere on Route 66. The owners have a plethora of Route 66 history and definitely open to sharing. They also have an old, vintage truck that folks stopping in are asked to sign with a metallic paint pen. We found a small open space to record our having been there. All the books say the “ugly crust pie” is to die for. They looked really good but since we had just eaten in Vega, we were able to pass on the temptation.

We pass into New Mexico on I-40 and quickly find old Route 66 in Glenrio. It is the earliest Route 66, an 18 mile scenic dirt road (formerly paved) from Glenrio, through Endee, into San Jon. Glenrio is virtually a ghost town now but back in the 1940s, it was evidently a bustling place. Founded in 1903, it is ironic that its name comes from the English word glen, meaning valley, and the Spanish term rio, for river. The irony comes in that the town is not in a valley or located near a river. According to a former resident, a film crew was in Glenrio in 1938 to film parts of The Grapes of Wrath]I The dirt road was a pleasant, peaceful drive with old wooden-post bridges and other remnants of years gone by.

Once in San Jon, we rejoin the paved Route 66 and head toward Tucumcari. On the way, we find the “Art On The Mother Road” display - - folks leave a sneaker
Amarillo, TX - Cattleman'sAmarillo, TX - Cattleman'sAmarillo, TX - Cattleman's

Two more classics - Cattleman's and Cowboy Motel
on the fence posts which is considered art. This quaint town has plenty of old roadside businesses. One could spend hours visiting the individual places.

We pass through a few other small towns, some deserted, to get to our destination for tonight, Santa Rosa, NM. We do some quick wash, have a bite to eat, and we are ready to sleep. Doing Route 66 as we are, it is information and sensory overload. Tomorrow we will have to play be ear because we are simply too tired to do any route planning tonight.




Additional photos below
Photos: 86, Displayed: 26


Advertisement

Amarillo, TX - Cowboy MotelAmarillo, TX - Cowboy Motel
Amarillo, TX - Cowboy Motel

The Cowboy Motel still open for business
Amarillo, TX - lapAmarillo, TX - lap
Amarillo, TX - lap

One of a series of mock road signs by Stanley Marsh 3 spread throughout the city. Jerry just couldn't resist getting a picture of this one.
Amarillo, TX - SundownAmarillo, TX - Sundown
Amarillo, TX - Sundown

We're not sure how all of these little motels still open survive but they do
Amarillo, TX - Diana'sAmarillo, TX - Diana's
Amarillo, TX - Diana's

A cute sign and place. We didn't stop to eat ;)
Amarillo, TX - Daniel'sAmarillo, TX - Daniel's
Amarillo, TX - Daniel's

Classic drive-in. Closed for season but definitely still in operation
Amarillo, TX - Crystal PistolAmarillo, TX - Crystal Pistol
Amarillo, TX - Crystal Pistol

We have no clue what this is but it looked cute so we snapped the picture
Amarillo, TX - Blue FrontAmarillo, TX - Blue Front
Amarillo, TX - Blue Front

Blue Front obviously did not make it but the signage was all still there
Amarillo, TX - old townAmarillo, TX - old town
Amarillo, TX - old town

Amarillo town street - Historic Route 66 district
Amarillo, TX - NatatoriumAmarillo, TX - Natatorium
Amarillo, TX - Natatorium

Castle-like crenellations
Amarillo, TX - HorseAmarillo, TX - Horse
Amarillo, TX - Horse

One of many unique statues in Amarillo
Amarillo, TX - Smokey Joe'sAmarillo, TX - Smokey Joe's
Amarillo, TX - Smokey Joe's

Not a very clear picture - the white signs across the front are Route 66 signs of each state
Amarillo, TX - muralAmarillo, TX - mural
Amarillo, TX - mural

Remnant mural on side of building
Amarillo, TX - Frankie'sAmarillo, TX - Frankie's
Amarillo, TX - Frankie's

So many places to choose from to eat
Amarillo, TX - Moose'sAmarillo, TX - Moose's
Amarillo, TX - Moose's

Bikers obviously favor Moose's


2nd April 2009

Look at whats going on
Great escapes ! You can fined the best Salvaged Car to get around in . Check us out at Lubbock Auto Salvage.
11th April 2009

Info regarding photo captions from a native amarilloan
The Blue Front Cafe is actually still open. The Crystal Pistol is a strip club, but I thought it was amusing you thought it was "cute."
26th September 2010
Amarillo, TX - Crystal Pistol

this is a Big ladies titty bar
28th November 2010

verynice crystolpistol was my amarillo favorite circa1975
15th January 2011
Amarillo, TX - Big Texan

This is not the Big Texan. I use to work here and it's the Country Barn. The Big Texan is located on the east side of Amarillo.
5th January 2012
Amarillo, TX - Crystal Pistol

crystal pistol???
trashy strip club lol

Tot: 0.253s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 55; dbt: 0.1011s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb