A - Northwest Adventure Day 1


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
September 16th 2008
Published: September 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

NW Adventure Route

This shows our planned route overall for this Northwest Adventure. We expect to take many mini excursions along the way.

Map 9-16Map 9-16Map 9-16

9/16 Travel route

Poor Cleo!






Our dog Cleo (short for Cleopatra) knew something was up Monday the 15th as we started putting things together. Then, she saw the suitcases come out and it was all over. The sad eyes; the moping looks; virtually running away as we took her water and food dishes and all supplies to the car. We got her to the car and over to Sherryl and Greg's and she was off and running with our granchildren, Ethan and Jonah. All was well. But as we went to leave, she gave us that look - "you aren't really leaving me here, are you?" Oh well...she'll come home very tired.



Leaving Home






Packing was an adventure in itself knowing we would not be in the same place more than one night for awhile. Having seen the weather, we had to consider both very warm and quite chilly weather heading so far northwest. Taking Jerry's mobility scooter was a must so space was limited. We finally succeeded and were able to get some shut-eye before heading out. Our kind neighbors Jan and Carl will keep a close eye on things
CleoCleoCleo

Our dog Cleo
while we are gone. Thank heaven for good neighbors!

At 10:00am, Tuesday the 16th, we were finally headed down the driveway. One stop at the bottom of our hill for outgoing mail as Jerry got out and said, let's go (he was just a little excited to get on the road😊). We simply looked at each other in disbelief that finally, we were able to head out on our first adventure. Well, actually it's our second -- we did have a wonderful Labor Day weekend to see our Michigan clan but we didn't get the pictures uploaded before we left on this one so we'll have to share those after we get home.



First Stop - Coon Rapids, MN






We followed our route to Coon Rapids, MN, just north of Minneapolis to meet up with our dear friend Jim. Though we've talked periodically, we had not physcially seen him for 2-3 years. How time flies. He lives right on the Mississippi River and had built a deck off the living room so we just had to indulge in a cocktail while enjoying the view and the gorgous weather.

We had
Cleo at DogSitterCleo at DogSitterCleo at DogSitter

Cleo dropped off at kids/grandkids house
a combo lunch/dinner with Jim at a local place where we could sit outside. We caught up on everything and all of our friends. Oh yes, and quite a few visits to memory lane, of trips and good times gone by. Hearty laughter certainly does warm the heart!! The couple of hours went so quickly. Jim wanted us to stay but alas, our hearts were on to the next part of our adventure. Rita took over the driving since she had switched to soda very quickly so dear family and friends, not to worry. We will travel safely.

We got back on the road and already, a good friend called to check up on Jerry - make sure we actually left and were doing ok. So many people who care. We are truly blessed.



Ever heard of Alexandria, MN?!






Well...neither did we until we decided we had traveled far enough for one day. Here in Alexandria, MN, we found a Country Inn and Suites at just the right price.

Only one day and already, we have made memories that will last a long, long time. Only a couple wrong turns,
Leaving HomeLeaving HomeLeaving Home

Goodbye home. See 'ya in a few weeks.
a whole lot of shared laughter, and the joy of togetherness that can only come with being in a car together for most of the day. We both agreed that it's been too long since we had taken a road trip. We used to do so much of it and enjoyed it. This was precious.



Tomorrow






We have included a picture of a map highlighting our travel through Minnesota today - the visual of where we are tonight. You have to mentally add the travel through Wisconsin on your own.

We've looked at the maps for tomorrow and have a general idea and certainly, a definite direction as you can see from our planned route at the top. However, tomorrow is another day to enjoy the freedom of stopping along the way or intentionally taking a "wrong" turn just to experience the off-the-main-road excursions. How far we'll get...who knows right now! All we know for sure is we'll get further down the road and we'll definitely stop to smell the roses along the way 😊 !


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

JerryJerry
Jerry

He's smiling but actually saying, "Get in the car and let's go already!"
Jim's HouseJim's House
Jim's House

It's the Jim and Jerry show


Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0361s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb