Teton Adventure-Day 2


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
August 1st 2008
Published: August 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Today is Friday Aug. 1st

Picked up and left camp @ about 7:30am
The weather was beautiful this morning.

Rode from LaGrande @ Catherine Creek on into Baker where some of us fueled, and we all had breakfast at the truck stop.
As we were walking into the restaurant, Chuck noticed the tire on the trailer he was pulling was low. We ate breakfast, then came out to find the tire completely flat. He aired the tire up at the stations air pump, then rode accross town to Les Schwab to get it fixed. He had the tube repaired, and bought another one just in case.

Rode from Baker to Ontario, Oregon where the rest of us fueled and washed our windshields. Lots of bugs out today.

Rode to the border into Idaho where some took off thier helmets. I kept mine on beings I'm still a newbie. I like riding in a state where you have a choice to wear, or not wear a helmet. That rocks.

Rode on to Mountain Home, Idaho where we fueled, went to Walmart for a few supplies, and ate lunch at Wendy's.

Rolled out again, and the next stop was @ a tourist trap where we had to gas up. I think everyone was related and possibly married to one another.

We rode hard through Hwy. 20/26. Ended up hitting road construction where a pilot car guided us through alot of nasty oily gravel. Part way through the road construction my tool bag decided to let loose, and fall most of the way off. I didn't want to lose my tools, or my bag, so had to stop and put it back on quickly, then catch up to the pilot car again.

Once we were through that mess, we were hammering down the freeway, and some brod in a Lexus came up behind us and started tail-gaiting Pat. She was so close she was almost pushing him. Then she pulled out, and barged into the middle of our bikes, nearly hit Corrie, and started tail-gaiting me. Then she pulled out and passed the rest of us and waved. It pissed us all off, but Corrie was pissed off enough to chase her down. He decided that beings he had a passenger on with him, he would stop the pursuit at 115mph. We all caught up to him, then pulled over @ the next rest area, and let our road rage dissipate.

From there we rode on into Idaho Falls, where we fueled again. Chuck's Harley decided it needed a rest we guess, and just shut off. He got it started again, and we found the nearest Schuck's store. He got parts and oil, then fixed his bike.

Once we were on the road again, we blasted through Idaho @ about 85mph. We figured we were averaging 90 miles in an hour.

During our travels we stopped @ Birds Of Prey Harley Shop. Pat found Chuck a new gas tank. (he he) It was a piggy bank gas tank. Right On!
I tried to get one of the guys there to trade my Gold Wing for a Road King. Funny thing, he didn't even acknowledge me offer. Hmmm...go figure. lol

We ended our days ride on a treacherous little dirt road that led to the only place to camp for miles and miles.
Chuck's wiring plug was being a pain, so his lights on his trailer went out. I was behind him, and the road we were on was severly wash boarded, and had potholes everywhere in it. Bouncing around on the rough road made my headlight keep going out. I was trying to follow him with no trailer lights, no headlight, and through thick dust to get to our camp site. It felt treacherous, but exillerating at the same time.

We found the camp host, got the very last camp spot available, and set up camp. We made camp coffee, ate freeze dried meals, and shared a freeze dried ice cream sandwich. Very different. Tasted like a regular ice cream sandwich, only it was crispy and kind of weird.




Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0323s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb