Space station


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
November 5th 2005
Published: November 5th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Hi All,
i just returned from the heli-deck (the helicopter pad located on the back of the ship). The space station went over head at 6:35. It is neat to think about how people are circling around the earth. What is even cooler is how the stars and planets were "moving". As the ship sways with the waves, the planets and stars appear to move up and down in a circular motion. THe moon was also especially beautiful tonight - a golden-orange cresent moon.

Today we continued our study of bio-stratigraphy. Essentially, this is understanding the ages of the sediment layers based on the fossils that are found within the sediments. We can also infer what the temperatures and environmental conditions would have been like at the time the fossils fell to the ocean floor based on the type of sediments present. (Some organisms are more prevelant in cooler waters or warmer waters...)

Tomorrow, we will get a complete tour of the ship - the drilling rig, the generator room and the "de-salinator". The "de-salinator" is the machine that takes ocean water and purifies it for drinking water.

It has become quite warm - about 75 degrees and the seas, thankfully, are calm and beautiful.

Thanks for all the emails/comments you have all been sending. Let me know if you have any specific questions I can answer for you!



Advertisement



5th November 2005

calm seas
Hi Ramona! So glad that the seas are calm now! No more anchor hitting the side of the boat! I hope the good weather continues on your sea adventure. Elise
6th November 2005

hello
Hi Mona! Glad to hear everything is going well and that you're having a good time! I'll see you when you get home!

Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0264s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1020.3kb