First Day


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
July 26th 2007
Published: August 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Lunch in the Edge of OklahomaLunch in the Edge of OklahomaLunch in the Edge of Oklahoma

We met with my folks who will be traveling with us.
As we drove along in Oklahoma I looked into the back of the van. I saw several asleep, a couple reading and a couple just riding. Michael was eating his special treat for long trips—pistachios from ONF. We discovered that the First Mate who doubles as Navigator had made a huge 200 mile mistake! We may really get to test our camp set up skills tonight when we pull in past 10:00. We just discovered something else encouraging!! We will cross into a different time zone and thus gain an hour!! So it won’t really be quite as late. Great start for our trip!

We passed some really interesting windmills. Silas couldn’t believe how BIG they were. That was in Oklahoma now in Texas we stopped at an overlook overlooking some really cool gulleys and ridges between Alanreed and Jericho. Then we finally got to some scenes of grasslands that go on as far as the eye can see. We are thrilled with some scenery that looks a lot different than our own Arkansas.

To conclude the first day we must tell the tale of "Burr City."

"Burr City"

Since we arrived 3+ hours later than
Huge WindmillsHuge WindmillsHuge Windmills

These fascinated the little boys!
the Navigator navigated it was dark when we had our first real camp set up. We find Ute Lake State Park and stop at the first two campsites that were flat and available. Not that big of a problem, it is all flat right here! So we get going everyone knows his job -this is cool. Since this is flat and by a lake there was a pretty good breeze blowing yet we are up to the challenge even in the dark. About 10 minutes into the process I have to rescue Silas from a little tiny but wicked burr. It is stuck in his heel not deep -everything okay. At 15 minutes the girls with their tent up—HOW do they DO that??— discover that those little burrs are stout enough to work through the ground tarp and tent bottom. (Naomi had one that took us 20 minutes to pick out.) So now we may end up with flat air mattresses! After much conflabing we decide to put our extra tarps in the tents to hopefully keep the burrs out.

It ended up taking us closer to an hour to set up the first time. But our courageous leader was pleased! And those beds felt really, really good although we all kept wondering where ELSE we would find one of those wicked little burrs.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Flat Land as Far as the Eye Can SeeFlat Land as Far as the Eye Can See
Flat Land as Far as the Eye Can See

At last we see what looks like the descriptions we've read in books!
Namesake of Burr CityNamesake of Burr City
Namesake of Burr City

I've never seen so many in one place!


Tot: 1.253s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0382s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb