Solo Cruiser or Thinking About Being One? January 2023


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
January 26th 2023
Published: January 26th 2023
Edit Blog Post

I’ve spent virtually my entire adult traveling life as a solo/single - not just on cruises, but on all my adventures around the world. I’m frequently quizzed on the what/why/when/howabout this, and my response is usually “I don’t know any other way to travel”, but obviously this doesn’t apply to most travelers. So, what to do? Here’s my thoughts……



First, here’s the bad news: with many cruise lines, you could end up paying twice as much as someone traveling with a companion, which is generally the case on most itineraries. Most cruise ship cabins are designed for at least 2, and the cruise rates advertised are per person, based on double occupancy. Selecting one of these cabins means you’ll pay a premium that in cruise world lingo, is a “single supplement”, and often that premium is 100%! (MISSING)Still, all is not lost if you want to experience life at sea as a solo. Spurred on by increasing demand, a growing number of cruise lines are adding cruises designed specifically for solo travelers. Some lines routinely offer lower single supplement charges than others or reduce or waive single supplements during promotions. One of my favorite websites offering decent cabin prices for singles is www.cruiseplum.com - check it out, you may be surprised.

Of course, it’s not just a low price that makes for a great solo cruise. Just as important for most people traveling alone, is the opportunity to meet other life-minded solo travelers through meet-and-greet receptions and organized group dining. Some cruise lines do a better job with this than others.

I must give credit where it’s due and Norwegian Cruise Lines deserves this in spades, for kicking off the trend of solo cabins on cruise ships. In 2010 the big-ship line debuted an entire zone of small “studio” cabins for one - 128 in all - on its then-brand-new Norwegian Epic. It was such a hit that other lines began to follow in its footsteps. Just 100’ square feet in size but superbly designed to maximize storage space, the solo rooms are clustered around an exclusive Studio Lounge with a bar and television area where solo travelers can mingle at daily hosted happy hour gatherings. Norwegian has since added similar solo cabins with exclusive lounges to six more new ships. One big caveat: they’re all inside cabins without an ocean view, although most have a window that looks out onto a corridor. On Norwegian Bliss, the solo cabins have a virtual porthole that offers a live view of the outside world via an LED screen. Also take note: these solo cabins are so popular they often sell out far in advance, and at prices that aren’t much better than booking a cabin for two.

Royal Caribbean has taken a page from Norwegian’s playbook in recent years, by adding solo cabins to both new and older ship classes. The line’s Quantum-class vessels offer up to 28 of these dedicated studio cabins, measuring from 101 to 119 square feet. Some of these cabins are ocean-view rooms with balconies. Others have a virtual balcony that looks like a real veranda but is actually a digital screen projecting a real-time view of the outside world. Yes, it sounds corny, but it works! While these solo cabins don’t come with a dedicated lounge, solo travelers will find hosted meetups on the ships. There’s also quite a bar scene with rows of bar seats in many bars that are a great place to meet other singles.

If sailing on the “luxury” cruise lines is more to your liking, Silversea Cruises haven’t yet created a solo cabin category, however the luxury line is known for catering to them with single supplements of just 10%!t(MISSING)o 25%!o(MISSING)n select sailings. Occasionally, during short-term promotions, the line will waive this dreaded single supplement entirely.Bottom of Form

Silversea also hosts welcome receptions for solos at the start of every voyage to kick off the mingling process. Operating relatively small, intimate vessels that carry just a few hundred passengers, Silversea is known for drawing a social crowd that likes to mix and mingle, particularly at dinnertime - a boon for people like me who don’t like to eat alone.

Then there’s the rebellious startup line Virgin Voyages, backed by Sir Richard Branson’s Virgin Group, which draws fun-loving folks (not just millennials). It’s shaping up to be a leader in the solo cruise market with the first ship Scarlet Lady and its new sister ship Valiant Lady. These vessels boast 46 cabins each specifically designed for lone travelers. That’s a big number for ships with just 1,330 cabins overall. The solo accommodations on both ships include 40 windowless, 105 square foot insider rooms that are sleek and stylish with full-size beds, large flat-screen televisions, curvy vanities, and high-design bathrooms. The remaining six solo-sea view cabins on each vessel measure about 130 square feet with windows. Take note: solo cabins with windows are at the front of the ship, facing forward. While that’s a spectacular location for sightseeing, seasoned cruisers know that cabins in this location can be bumpy in rough seas. Personally, I love a little ship movement (how else can you ever know you’re at sea?) but if you don’t, consider yourself warned. Meanwhile, for solos, you’ll find that Virgin’s hopping bar scene - and adult-focused atmosphere - is perfect for singles looking to meetup with others. With a ban on children under the age of 18 (yeah, that gets my vote!), this is a line where you definitely won’t find families with kids. It’s all about solo travelers, couples and friends’ groups looking to have a great time and engage with shipmates onboard.

Solos looking for upscale river cruises often can find a deal from Tauck, a high-end tour company that has a European cruise division. It markets more than six river vessels and frequently eliminates its single supplements completely for its least-expensive cabin categories. Tauck cruise directors take special care of solo travelers, and communal tables at mealtimes make it easy to meet other passengers. Singles can seek out others at the bar (no worries about bar tabs - drinks are included in the fare) or escape to a quiet sun deck spot with a book when they tire of socializing. Daily shore excursions and tours also included, so you’ll always have a group ready to explore with you while on land.

River cruising in general is ideal for singles, and other lines also waive or significantly lower single supplement charges. Avalon Waterways waives it for some cabins on every cruise departure in Europe. AmaWaterways charges just 50%!f(MISSING)or solos booking non-suite cabins. It also has four ships in Europe that each have two dedicated solo cabins that carry no single supplement.

Bottom Line:

As someone who has always cruised alone, I’ve found that smaller ships often are better for mixing and mingling than the giant ones. On the smaller ships, you’ll see the same people over and over, while on the bigger ones with thousands of passengers, it’s easy to go for days without seeing the same person twice. There are pros and cons for both scenarios. The lines that operate those smaller ships are also more prone to offering discounts for solo travelers, which results in a higher percentage of individual cruisers onboard. That said, the big ships are the ones with dedicated solo cabins, and also offer onboard activities, from Broadway shows to rock-climbing walls, which don’t require companions to enjoy. Not that you should worry too much about making friends at sea - cruisers in general, are social animals. In fact, many passengers cruise specifically to meet others (an at-sea dating service?). I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been sitting alone with my laptop in a corner of a cruise ship lounge, writing away and minding my own business, when another passenger (or 2 or 4) has stopped by and started a conversation. Whether you choose one of the top cruise lines for solo travelers, or another line that suits your fancy, you’re bound to have a marvelous time with as much or as little alone time as you choose.

A final thought: we can only thank all the gods on high that commercial airlines charge by the single seat, and hotel chains charge by the room, usually regardless of how many warm bodies will occupy it. Yes, double occupancy rates for hotel rooms do exist - most often in Europe - but smaller rooms are frequently offered by these European chains at lower nightly rates for solos. The loathed and dreaded “SS” really doesn’t apply here.

Group land tours almost always display prices with double occupancy rates and then slap on single supplements, but many offer frequent discounts that can equal or exceed this SS amount. One example of this is www.gate1travel.com. By subscribing on their website with your email address, you’ll receive a weekly email listing of around 14 different worldwide tours being offered, each with significant discounts, and their random “flash sale” emails are a definite bargain - check it out.

Advertisement



15th September 2023

Gratitude.
Many thanks for the interesting, useful and detailed information

Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0215s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb