New Orleans - the Jewel of the cruise


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
February 24th 2020
Published: February 24th 2020
Edit Blog Post

New Orleans Blog 8th & 9th February 2020





Grand Cayman

Cozumel

Progresso



The highlight of the cruise saw us out at a Plantation House and then back into the city with it’s vibrant Mardi Gras, colours, music and great food.



New Orleans is a Louisiana city on the Mississippi River, near the Gulf of Mexico.




Nicknamed the "Big Easy," it's known for its round-the-clock nightlife, vibrant live-music scene and spicy, singular cuisine reflecting its history as a melting pot of French, African and American cultures. Embodying its festive spirit is Mardi Gras, the late-winter carnival famed for raucous costumed parades and street parties.



Following Mardi Gras in springtime is Jazz Fest, celebrating New Orleans as the birthplace of the genre. Lively bars and cafes line Bourbon Street, which runs through the center of the architecturally ornate French Quarter.

This area is also home to several iconic Creole and Cajun restaurants serving dishes like gumbo and jambalaya. The Garden District is known for well-preserved antebellum mansions in styles like Italianate and Victorian. In Faubourg Marigny, Frenchmen Street is home to bars and clubs offering live jazz, blues and rock music. Streetcar lines cross the city, including the St. Charles route, operating since 1835.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 16; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0426s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb