On the train again


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
September 13th 2019
Published: September 13th 2019
Edit Blog Post

IMG_20190913_093530IMG_20190913_093530IMG_20190913_093530

Pretty hills before they change much
Friday morning finds us traveling through West Virginia on a beautiful clear day.
It seems sleeping on the train gets better with practice because we both slept better last night.
The Empire Builder, which we took from Edmonds to Chicago, used different types of rail cars than the Cardinal, which we're riding now. The Superliner is a double decker, with most passengers on the upper level, while the Viewliner, which we're riding now, is a single decker. The seats are similar - they recline about the same and have leg rests and foot rests - and are equally comfortable. The main difference is the ride. The Viewliner is much lighter with tighter suspension, so you feel most every twist and turn and bump. On the Superliner, though, the weight dampens all the motion so you don't feel it so much. Typing is much easier on the Superliner, too. Aiming at the "A" key usually gets the "A" instead of the shift key.
The train route took us along several rivers, the first of which was the Ohio River, which is also huge, though not as big as the Mississippi. It was mostly too dark for photos, though. We were in West
IMG_20190913_093332IMG_20190913_093332IMG_20190913_093332

Pretty hills too
Virginia before the sun rose far enough to see much detail.
We followed the Kanawha River for a good long way. Then we noticed the sides of the river channel through gaps in the trees. It's a big vertical cliff face that goes for a long way, looks like a wall built of boulders, and made me think of several scenes from the movie "Deliverance." There were too many trees beside the tracks for any photos. She did get a chance for a couple good ones further along, though I think this stretch of river is named the New River.
The ride so far has mostly been through forest, but these forests are mostly deciduous trees, And they are starting to turn and the views are mighty nice.
Some of the construction of the train stations and the surrounding features are amazing. Riverside homes, brickwork, gazebos on the river, stairways to nowhere, crumbling structures... What role did these things play in history? Which armies, Union or Confederate, marched through here or rode the trains through here? How many stories were inspired by this area? Awesome stuff to consider.
When we arrive in Charlottesville, Natalie's half brother will meet us and
IMG_4498IMG_4498IMG_4498

New River
we'll spend a couple days with him and his wife. I'm not sure when I'll be back for the next part of this story, so be sure to check back.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

IMG_4480IMG_4480
IMG_4480

New River too


17th September 2019

Double decker -> Single level, a bit 'bumpy'
Can just picture the different trains as you speak to moving out of Chicago on the Viewliner, compared with the Superliner from Edmonds to Chicago. Hard to believe you're this far in your journey and what a great one so far! Keep sharing to us all!

Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 28; dbt: 0.03s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb