Caution Issued for US Citizens Intending to Visit China


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
February 2nd 2019
Published: February 2nd 2019
Edit Blog Post

The US State Department travel advisory has cautioned ‘arbitrary enforcement of local laws’ which followed after detention of two Canadian nationals in China.

It is very important that travelers and tourists pay attention to any kind of travel warning, which is issued by federal agency responsible for ensuring safety and security of US nationals, while they are abroad. Even when the travel destination is a popular and well-known one and some kind of warning is issued, it is important to follow them. If you are a US citizen with China tourist visa and planning to visit the country sometime soon, note the recent China travel warning urging all American travelers and tourists to exercise and maintain increased caution while paying a visit to the country.

Conducting diplomacy is not the only job which is handled by the US State Department. Among the other jobs, one important function is acting on behalf of the various US citizens, who are abroad in different countries of the world. In case an American citizen gets stuck in some problem in a foreign land, complete assistance will be provided by the State Department. Travel warnings are issued by the State Department for US citizens for countries where there are chances of any kinds of issues. It either asks the American citizens to avoid the places and countries altogether or it suggests them to be extra careful while on their trip.

Such a warning has been issued by the State Department for US citizens who are visiting China. A new warning was released which cited ‘arbitrary enforcement of local laws along with special restrictions on dual US-Chinese nationals’.

As per the travel warning it was said that Chinese authorities have been asserting extensive authority in prohibiting US citizens from leaving China with the use of ‘exit bans’. Infact many US citizens have been retained in China for long periods of time. This is even done when there is proper China visa for US citizens.

There are four levels of travel warnings issued by the US State Department, which range from level 1 and reach up to level 4. It is obvious that the degrees and extents of cautions are high for each level. Level 1 speaks of exercising normal precautions for US citizens while visiting China. As per the website of the State Department, the Level 1 travel advisory is applicable for every country that the US citizen visits, which does not have higher level of warning. It is just a kind of warning and encouragement to the travelers so that they remain careful while traveling abroad.

The new travel warning, which is issued for China is a step ahead of that of Level 1 travel advice. This is Level 2 and it says about ‘exercising increased caution’. In the warning it is stated specifically that China has used the aforementioned exit bans for three purposes to be precise. All these purposes are kind of a danger for the US citizens who are visiting the country for travel, business or any other purpose. The three purposes, which are cited include forcing the US citizens visiting China in participating in Chinese government investigations; luring people back to China from various abroad destinations and last but not the least helping the Chinese authorities to resolve various kinds of civil disputes, which go in favor of Chinese parties.

The relationship between China and the United States of America has been under the scanner lately. Various kinds of issues have come up right from President Donald Trump’s trade war with China to the arrest of Chinese national and Huawei CFO MengWanzhou in Canada at the request of US officials. The relation between the nations deteriorated after two Canadian nationals were arrested in China claiming that they had violated Chinese law, which protected state security. As per news media, the new travel warning is kind of reaction to these unpleasant events.

As US citizens, if you plan to visit China, you should know about the warnings issued by the travel advisory. It is recommended that you carry your US passport and Chinese visa for US nationalswith you all the time. It is also recommended to sign up with the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) so that it is easy for the State Department for reaching you in case something uneventful happens. In case you are detained or arrested for some reason while leaving or entering China, seek assistance from police and other officials so that you can contact the US consulate or embassy immediately in China.

Traveling to China is not impossible or improbable for US citizens. It is just that extra caution should be followed.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.243s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0629s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb