Amarillo, TX and Palo Duro Canyon


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
June 14th 2018
Published: July 3rd 2018
Edit Blog Post

Fort Amarillo RV ResortFort Amarillo RV ResortFort Amarillo RV Resort

This is a great location to stop with full hookups. It is very close to restaurants and shopping and easy access to Palo Duro Canyon. The road to Colorado is one mile down the road.
After Erik's graduation we began our Westward and North West trip in earnest on the Journey to Alaska. We had a goal to see The Texas Musical in Palo Duro Canyon and were delighted in both seeing and learning so much more.

We also learned some interesting details about extreme Telecommuting that we want to share.

When we were planning our trip we had dozens of you wanting to go along with us. It seems there is a desire to go on a long road trip in many of your hearts. The joke between Bonnie and I was that we would have to rent two Greyhound buses to accommodate everyone that wanted to go along. We were surprised, as you will see in photos, that some of you took us up on it.

I have always known that I had an ancestor from the Comanche Indian Nation while Bonnie had her roots in the Cherokee nation. I was quite surprised to learn more about my ancestors in Palo Duro Canyon which you will see in photos.

For those of you that don't know Palo Duro Canyon is described as the Grand Canyon of Texas.

Hope you
An attractive Pond is on the propertyAn attractive Pond is on the propertyAn attractive Pond is on the property

While I was busy working Bonnie and Sadie spent time here enjoying the facility.
enjoy the photography and the stories that go with the pictures.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

RV CorralRV Corral
RV Corral

You have to be a Texan to appreciate that RVs go into a corral just like horses and cattle. You don't want any of those RV owners to escape without being counted.
I Finally got my PaliminoI Finally got my Palimino
I Finally got my Palimino

My mom said one time when I was about 11 that if I was real good she would get me a horse. I am not sure if I was bad but this is the closest I have been to owning a horse and it belonged to someone else.
Palo Duro CanyonPalo Duro Canyon
Palo Duro Canyon

As you travel across the prairie of NW Texas it is flat with a lot of wide open spaces. You can imagine the surprise of the first settlers when they came across this vast canyon.
Palo Duro CanyonPalo Duro Canyon
Palo Duro Canyon

The formations and colors are absolutely amazing and a wonder to see. We enjoyed the evening after work exploring the vastness of the Canyon. There was evidence of flash flooding on the Canyon floor with the admonition that you must climb to survive.
Palo Duro CanyonPalo Duro Canyon
Palo Duro Canyon

Scrub trees grew throughout the canyon with very little to cling to in their quest for survival.
Palo Duro CanyonPalo Duro Canyon
Palo Duro Canyon

Down on the Canyon floor you also get a feeling of the magnitude of the walls surrounding you.
Balancing RocksBalancing Rocks
Balancing Rocks

There are a number of examples of rocks balancing where the wind and rain has created this phenomenon.
Ya"ll ComeYa"ll Come
Ya"ll Come

A hearty Wecome Ya'll was our welcome to the play Texas
Did you miss the bus?Did you miss the bus?
Did you miss the bus?

Remember where we said we would have to rent a bus to take everyone that wanted to go with us. Well the Clark Travel excursion bus followed us into the Canyon. Bonnie and both checked but didn't recognize any of you on it...Did you miss the bus? We sure miss you but are carrying each of you with us in our hearts.
Bonnie and SadieBonnie and Sadie
Bonnie and Sadie

Yes the West Texas Wind blows even in the bottom of Palo Duro Canyon. Sadie is wondering what happened to her ears.
Quanah ParkerQuanah Parker
Quanah Parker

The Great Comanche Chief who managed to successful transcend two different cultures in his lifetime while securing a future for his people while staying true to his core values.
Benny Tahmahkera Quanah Parker DescendantBenny Tahmahkera Quanah Parker Descendant
Benny Tahmahkera Quanah Parker Descendant

It was a great privilege meeting Benny and his wife Marla Nauni and learning more about my Comanche heritage. I was pleased to learn that the Comanches wintered in Palo Duro Canyon where we were standing. This was another unexpected highlight to our trip.
Extreme TelecommutingExtreme Telecommuting
Extreme Telecommuting

As you travel in an RV and attempt to work while moving down the road it becomes very evident that the Interstate system needs rejuvenation. As a result a stationary desk becomes an in motion desk and things move about. Rubber Shelving solves that issue and your mouse doesn't fly.


Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0374s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb