Devil's Tower, WY


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wyoming
April 27th 2011
Published: May 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

We stopped at a small-town diner 1 hour from today's destination, parking among the pick-up trucks. Everyone inside gave us that “you're not from around here” kinda' glance, but were all as friendly as could be. Tummies full, we moved on.

Not long after we could see Devil's Tower protruding in the distance, a strange sight to see. Native American legend tells that as 7 sisters ran away from a bear they came to a rock or tree that rose to lift them high off of the ground. The bears clawed at the sides of the mountain unable to reach the girls at the top but the girls continued to be safely lifted until they became a group of stars.

The walk around the bottom of the tower was even more fun that its legend. Because this is a national memorial they had a Jr Rangers booklet and badges for the kids. We've found that this makes each site even more fun and increasing the learning experience for our whole family. Here we learned that the porcupines eat away the bark of the Ponderosa pines to get at the inner layer of yum. The bark, by the way, smells like vanilla. We also giggled as we watched the prairie dogs squeak and play and run in and out of their holes in the stretch of grassland below the park. Big clouds floated by overhead and every so often we were sprinkled with light hail balls. We were even treated to a glorious double rainbow!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



8th May 2011

He's coming in the clouds
exceeds even the promise (rainbow)

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0428s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb