Jean's birthday


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wyoming
June 14th 2021
Published: June 14th 2021
Edit Blog Post

June 13 – Jean’s birthday – what a way to celebrate!!

Well, another early start and off to Yellowstone with the hope of seeing those wolve and bears – but not so far as the Lamar Valley. Of course we failed, but at Haydn valley we saw at least 30 bison, and then some elk, swans, scaups, and even a bald eagle. We drove counter clockwise, which was interesting to see things from the opposite view. It was much hotter today – in the 80’s – so it was lovely to stop down by Lake Yellowstone to hunt for pumice stone. We also found tiny bits of obsidian shining in the gravel as we hiked up a hill for a great view.

Obsidian is the result of the lava hitting water, and this type is black. Even found some patches of snow for the kids to enjoy.

We stopped by Old Faithful again – only waiting about 15 mins, and then visited the Black Sand Basin, which had wonderful colorful pools and “spurters.” Got to a restaurant for the birthday meal by 5:15, intent on an early night. Two of our crew ordered Bison tenderloin! All this sun and wind makes for tired vacationers.

Only one full day left ☹ - to guarantee a view of the wolve and bears we are just all going to the Bear & Wolf Discovery Center!!!! Home Tuesday night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.6s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 19; qc: 69; dbt: 0.0904s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb