Yellowstone National Park - Arrival


Advertisement
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

June 20 – Another early morning departure from Buffalo Wyoming. Our route took us through the Big Horn Mountains. Lots of switch backs – up and down. At one point our truck breaks were overheating so we stopped for 30mins to take in the scenery. We passed through the town of Cody which was the home of Buffalo Bill Cody. There was a museum but the parking lot was full so we didn’t stop. During this time of the year they have nightly rodeos. Would have been interesting place to stop. Just past Cody we drove through 3 mountain tunnels enroute to Yellowstone. Joy exclaimed “you didn’t tell me there would be tunnels!!”. (she hates tunnels). They don’t show them on the road map. There was a steady climb up the mountain to Yellowstone. We were greeted with snow banks at the highest point. We arrived mid afternoon at our campground at Fishing Bridge on the Yellowstone Lake. We are here for 6 days. The temperature during the daytime hits the low 20c and drops to near freezing over night. The elevation of the campground is close to 8,000feet.

The Yellowstone is the world’s oldest National Park established in 1880. It contains 2.2 million acres. If you drive on every road in Yellowstone you will see about 1% of the park. It takes days to see the main highlights. It is already the start of the busy season. By noontime it is almost impossible to get parking at some of the more popular sights. Yellowstone has incredible scenery, abundance of wild life and lots of volcanic sights to explore.



Our few pictures posted in the blog cannot do justice to the scenery. You have to come here to see it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

On the Road to YellowstoneOn the Road to Yellowstone
On the Road to Yellowstone

You didn't tell me there would be tunnels!!!...Joy
On the Road to YellowstoneOn the Road to Yellowstone
On the Road to Yellowstone

Three tunnels just past Cody Wyoming


Tot: 0.172s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb