YELLOWSTONE ADVENTURE


Advertisement
Published: June 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

SUNDAY IN THE PARK

Today was a combination of sweet and sad. The sky was filled with puffs of clouds and a cool north wind was howling. We started out and immediately saw a herd of bison grazing by the side of the road. The little calves were so sweet nursing from mom and sticking close to her side. The bulls just kept a wary eye out just in case a stupid tourist got within charging range. I could almost see them licking their lips. Do bison have lips?

We drove into every basin and kept our eyes open for bear but no such luck. At the Middle Geyser Basin the wind was so strong that steam covered the walkway and it was like walking in dense fog. Because of the wind direction, we were unable to see the features of the pools but it was nice to be warm for a bit. No animals here. Momma bison and her calf were strolling down the side of the road. Another brain dead tourist pulled up next to her for a picture. Again. It was much closer that the 25 yards recommended.

We visited Firehole Lake and the Firehole Canyon, quite awesome to wind our way through towering cliffs that seemed to close in on us. We stopped to see the Firehole Canyon Cascade and then back tracked to the Inn for breakfast. About 15 feet from the parking lot next to a side road we saw a bison in obvious distress. It was lying on it’s side, occasionally lifting it’s giant head up and then lying down again. We reported it to the rangers but they always let nature take its course unless there is a treat to human safety. During our travels we would stop and check on it. In the early afternoon we passed by and still lying down but it’s head was up and it was grazing. The we noticed the little brown bundle next to her, yes it was a her, and she had just given birth to a calf who was resting from the ordeal. It was so still we though it might be dead but in the late afternoon both animals were gone. How privileged we felt to be able to observe this event. We are the honorary Great Spirit parents!

It was a wonderful Sunday in the Park.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.513s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 44; dbt: 0.3358s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb