Waterfalls & Wildlife


Advertisement
Published: September 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Having mastered the art of cinematography using a tripod, (apologies to anyone who has to suffer through our learning curve in the first video clips) and seen enough thermal features for now, we decided that Yellowstone Canyon deserved another visit. This time it was to see the Upper and Lower Falls up close and personal. We definitely were not done with Yellowstone Park yet.

There is a trail that leads to the bottom of the Lower Falls. However, ‘trail’ is a loose description of the 300-step descent on metal stairs clinging to the side of the canyon. Oh, it was really easy getting down there for some incredible views and memorable photos and video, but coming up was another matter altogether. And don’t forget, this was all taking place at an altitude of 8,000 feet. However, we both agreed it was well worth every gasp coming up.

The day was a balmy 20 degrees with clear blue sky. So what better to do than head for another valley known for its wildlife viewing. There were plenty of viewing points along the Hayden Valley road, and we parked, pulled out a lawn chair and joined many others with their powerful spotting scopes to wait for the action to start. Unfortunately, all we saw this time, before getting too hungry to wait for the equally hungry predators to show, were a few herds (how many makes a herd?) of bison casually grazing away as if grizzlies and wolves were not nearby. Plus a pair of trumpeter swans recently returned from summer breeding in the ‘north’.

A park ranger stopped by to inform us that a bison carcass we were so intensely watching was three weeks old (it met an unfortunate demise from injuries suffered in the August bison rut), and it had already been picked clean by grizzlies, several wolf packs, eagles, coyotes and ravens some time ago and the likelihood of us seeing any more action on what was now nothing but hide and skull, were slim to none. However, he regaled us with stories of a bull elk fight he had seen the night before, and told everyone when, where and what they could see in the immediate area of the park. What an amazing place!

With so much more to see in the park, we are reluctant to think about leaving tomorrow but southern roads are calling and so we will drive the shores of Yellowstone Lake and head for Grand Teton National Park.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Close up of Lower FallsClose up of Lower Falls
Close up of Lower Falls

Check out the green at the very top.
Huffing & Puffing Back UpHuffing & Puffing Back Up
Huffing & Puffing Back Up

Correction: Kayla was huffing & Puffing, Richard could have run up.
Hayden Valley Game SpottingHayden Valley Game Spotting
Hayden Valley Game Spotting

Check out the spotting scopes. These people are serious.


Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0356s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb