2nd day at Yellowstone


Advertisement
Published: July 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Starkey's are back, back again..................

It sure is tough not having internet or cell phone service at some campgrounds......it is almost like roughing it.

The next 3 enteries are posted as the days unfolded.

Today we left Gardiner, Mt and headed south for Flagg Ranch, Wy. Flagg Ranch is just south of Yellowstone, and north of Grand Teton National Park. It's also known as "a dead zone!"

On our way south we stopped in Yellowstone at the mud pots, and some geysers. Outside setting up for some 1st Amendments rights protest was this guy (see pic), if you can see the tag on his shorts he shops at Marshalls. The mud pots were cool...they looked like boiling paint, just as advertised. Our next stop was Old Faithful. We timed it just right and walked over about 5 minutes before she errupted. It was something to see. At Harry's recommendation, we went to see the Old Faithful Inn. It was beautiful and huge. We also hiked up to the Old Faithful overlook, which gave a great view of the park. Unfortunately, we didn't see it erupt from up there. What we did see, however, was a blood erruption from Emma's big toe. You see, hiking in flip flops isn't always a good idea. We knew it hurt when she did NOT come up with her normal response of "I'm OK!"

On the way out of the park, we were commenting on our lack of wildlife sightings. A couple minutes later, a big bison was walking down the street. It was huge.

We arrived at Flagg Ranch and discovered we were in "Bear Country". There were warnings all over about not leaving food out. The campground was more rustic than any of the others we've stayed at, but it was nice. Very wooded, but dusty.

Rachel's comments:

when we came into the park we saw a coyte walking around. ha mom!!!! you didnt put that in yours!!!!!we left garder and went to the dead zone. verizon lied to me!!!!!!! i am afraid of dead zones!!!!!! =) and when i thought it couldnt get worse...... theres no internet or cable!!!!!! mom calles it rustic. i call it boring. the tetons are soooooo big!!!!!! there taller than any of the ones at glacier. we stoped and saw the bubbling pots of paint. its mud. but it was pretty cool. the guysers were pretty cool too. old faithfol was awsome!!!!! the hotel next to it was amazing!!!!! it was all made of wood. there was a crows nest that went to the top of the building. a orcachta used to preform there. but a earthquake made everything unstable. the fireplace was huge!!!!! then we went to the old faithfol over look. me and emma hiked up there in flip flops. but as all of you know, im much more cordenated then emma. =) she ran down the hill and cut her big toe!!!!!! as we left the park, we all saw a buffallo walking down the road!!!! some may ccall it a bison, but i, rachel anne starkey, shall call it a bufallo!!!!!!! when we came to the dead zone, we all learned that we were in bear country. the camp ground was also very dusty and super buggy!!!!!!




Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



2nd August 2008

Buffalo vs Bison
Hey! What do you mean you can't tell a bison from a buffalo??? Don't you work for AIC??? "Biff" would be ashamed of you! Speaking of the "dead-zone"... That's one of the reasons I couldn't find you. I was hoping to enjoy one of your famous "s'mores"! The other reason (I find out now) is you guys "left the ranch" during the water shut down! We were stubborn enough to stick it out! Maybe not smart enough to leave, but stubborn all the same. LOVE your blog. Its like being there! Actually I was! LOL!!!

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb