29th July 2010 – Cor that smells!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wyoming » Thermopolis
July 29th 2010
Published: July 31st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today was swimming day so after a rather poor breakfast in the Super 8 - get in early folks or there wont be anything left! We headed over to the Star Plunge swimming pool - favoured by Butch Cassidy and Marlon Brando no less! For $50 we could stay all day - even leave and come back, order Pizza etc. It opend at 9 and we were there by about 9.15 - the slides weren't open but the pools were. Thermopolis gets its name from the hot mineral springs - nobody mentions that they tend to be sulphur springs... it's not too bad once you are used to it!

It's quite old fashioned but very sweet - the pools are non chemical and hot hot hot. The outside pool was hotter than the air temperature at one point during the day (and the air temperature didn't fall below 80 F) and the spas were at about 104 F - one called the Lobster Pot was so hot I walked in walked to one end and then walked out!

We swam, we slid, we chilled and then about 1 we left to get something to eat (Subway). Another thing that Thermopolis is famous for is the Petroglyths about 30 miles outside town. To get to them you have to get a key to the gate which we got from the Touriit Information Centre. Lovely drive out on Highway 120 then a walk in what felt like 100 F heat - avoiding the snakes! But fabulous once we had got there. Lovely pictures.

Then back to the pool - people were starting to leave and we stayed till about 7 - then back to the Motel, quick shower (everyone!) and then out to Lil Wrangler for dinner (very homely but excellent food). Nice rainbow. Back to the hotel and we watched "Iron Chef America".

Tommorow it's the dinosaurs!



Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb