Population/elevation ratio--insider joke


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wyoming » Thermopolis
March 30th 2006
Published: April 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

ProofProofProof

It is true, isn't it?? We probably have about as many deer living in the city limits as humans too. And about a million crows in the winter. That's a lot of deer and crow sh... for sure.
Our present Wyoming governor Freudenthal repeated an insider joke a while back that goes "Never trust a man (politician?) who comes from a place that has a higher number for population than it has for elevation" or words to that effect. Since he is a native of Thermopolis that should imply he can be trusted whereas those from Cheyenne and 15 other towns can't be because there are only 16 towns in Wyoming with a population of more than 4000 and only a small area that is lower than 4000 feet.
Today's "Wyoming from the Inside" will concentrate on my town of Thermopolis and specifically the Hot Springs State Park. I can best tell what it is like to live in such a small town with pictures. And they don't lie.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Driving To TownDriving To Town
Driving To Town

Thermopolis is home to the "World's Largest Mineral Hot Springs" to quote our tourist advertisement. How about this for a view each day about a mile from my house on the way to town?
Mineral Terraces and the Big Horn RiverMineral Terraces and the Big Horn River
Mineral Terraces and the Big Horn River

And you wonder why we even bother going up to Yellowstone when we see this every day. That river comes in to Thermopolis from the south as the Wind River and leaves here at the north as the Big Horn River. Well, you can't blame the early explorers. After all, the Wind River was going south when they named it across the mountain range from here. The geology is VERY convoluted. I think that is the word the geologists use.
Board WalkBoard Walk
Board Walk

Hot Springs State Park has been making extensive renovations in the past few years to its structures. It is the most visited state park and is especially popular for school breaks. This boardwalk around the terraces is actually made out of recycled plastic and is VERY slippery on cold mornings where the steam has frozen on the surface. That is our famous Swinging Bridge across the Big Horn River in the distance. Do not walk out on it if you are afraid of heights, especially if you also are afraid of swaying structures. Fun, though for the rest of us brave souls.
Dog walk par excellenceDog walk par excellence
Dog walk par excellence

Tass has been walking these terraces since a few weeks after he was born and doesn't realize how lucky he is. I never get tired of this view. I have walked this area in 20 below zero weather before they put in this new slick walkway-- You can't believe how beautiful that was.
Close upClose up
Close up

The combination of algae, minerals and hot water make for some amazing colors in the flow over the terraces
My PewMy Pew
My Pew

Services held whenever I arrive.
Overflow SeatingOverflow Seating
Overflow Seating

That's the State (free) bath house in the back ground.


5th April 2006

Thank you!
Hi there, just wanted to thank you for your comment on my page about being an American in a foreign land and the ups and downs that come along with it. Although I rationally know that people of any nationality and in any country go through at least something similar to that, it's good to hear that I have support and am not just being a bitter, close-minded American. Besides, after a good rant, I felt better and know at all times that the good far outweigh the bad for me here. And by the way, your trip to Panama looked incredible, I will read more as soon as I can. Thanks for the message and happy Thermopolis-ing!

Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0628s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb