Jackson Hole


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wyoming » Jackson
May 31st 2009
Published: June 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Alaska Trip a 001Alaska Trip a 001Alaska Trip a 001

First Good View of the Rockies
I drove up from Rock Springs to Jackson today and made a short trip through Grand Teton National Park on Wilson-Moose Road, a ride suggested to me by Bryan because it offers the opportunity to see moose along the Snake River. I looked long and hard, but no moose sightings. The road offers spectacular views of the Teton Range, though. These mountains are very jagged and vertical. There are no foothills obstructing the view and these gigantic mountains just seem to erupt from the lower, flatter terrain.

I decided to spend the night in Jackson where rooms were readily available since the tourist season is just getting started and not as crazy as it soon will be. Once checked in, I went down to the town square. Rain had come in after a beautiful, sunny afternoon. There's a park in the square with arches made of elk antlers. They are plentiful around here since the Natonal Elk Refuge is just north of town and thousands of elk winter there. The local boy scouts collect them and each year they hold an antler auction. Jan, make room in the living room!

I had to stop in at the very touristy
Alaska Trip a 011Alaska Trip a 011Alaska Trip a 011

Some of the Tetons
Cowboy Bar for a cocktail. It's cowboy decor is interesting with saddles for bar stools and silver dollars in the bar.

Tomorrow, I'll go back through Grand Teton National Park and make my way towards Idaho on my way out. Next stop, who knows?


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Alaska Trip a 017Alaska Trip a 017
Alaska Trip a 017

Antler Arch in Town Square
Alaska Trip a 018Alaska Trip a 018
Alaska Trip a 018

Million Dollar Cowboy Bar


2nd June 2009

Nice Update
Thanks for the update. It's so amazing to see the majesty of the mountains, eh? What a difference from where you started. You're not in "Kansas" anymore!
2nd June 2009

Not Kansas
No doubt. I hope I never get tired of looking natures spectacular mountains. I'm getting an eyeful on the trip.
2nd June 2009

NO ROOM!!!
Don't even get any ideas!! Leave a little west out west, please!
2nd June 2009

Antlers
Awww, they're not that big. They're only about 5 feet wide and stick out about 4 feet.

Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0159s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb