Jenny Lake experience


Advertisement
Published: July 20th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Day 11- Woke up early to snag a campsite at Jenny Lake in Teton National Park. This campsite is small (~45 sites), tents only, right at the base of the mountains on the lake, BUT it is first-come-first-serve. People get up at 4am to circle around to try to find someone leaving so that they can swoop in on the spot. We slept through our 6:30AM alarm, had to swing past the grocery store, and drive 30minutes and managed to pull into the park about 9AM. Somehow, we nailed a great spot!! One of three available at the time I think. The family before us was still packing up as we claimed it ours and the ranger was really helpful in making sure that no one tried to swoop up our spot. We got settled, set up camp, and decided to explore the area. Despite my bum ankle, We did ~6miles around the south side of the lake. Saw the hidden falls and inspiration point. After we got back to camp Sven noticed the clouds rolling in and wind picking up so we looked it up and sure enough another thunder storm was rolling our direction. We quickly secured our tent and cleared up the camp site and sat by the fire as it began to rain. We hurried to the tent as it rained more and went to sleep.


Day 12- We hiked the other side of Jenny lake, along the String lake, and had lunch by Leigh lake. Although the lakes are somewhat smaller, we still managed to hike ~9miles. The view from this side of the lake was breath taking. You could sit and stare at the views all day long.

Day 13- We drove down the road to get to the Death Canyon trail head. We hiked passed Phelps lake and back into the canyon. It went from a normal dirt trail through a glacial moraine then passed a waterfall then what seemed to be a rainforest full of high plants and surrounding dampness back through another endless moraine. Total bear territory. We rocked our bear bells and bear spray for the fear or stumbling across Yogi and Booboo. In all, we did ~7miles or so and over 2000ft of climbing. It was quite the experience. On the way back to the campsite, we took a scenic route and spotted prong horn and elk from the road. Once back to our campsite, while making dinner, a 12 point elk sauntered into our neighbors site and hung out for about 30 minutes.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Elk in our neighbors campsiteElk in our neighbors campsite
Elk in our neighbors campsite

Honestly, picture does not do justice to this animals size!


Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 18; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0531s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb