Hiking the Tetons


Advertisement
Published: September 12th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Hiking the Tetons

Today began with ice on our windshield so it was a chilly start to our morning. This was our last day at Flagg Ranch, so we packed up and headed to the dining room for breakfast. And it was delicious. Their breakfast menu was so much better than their dinner menu. After checking out we headed south back to the Grand Tetons.

We took it slow still searching for that moose, but he apparently already had his breakfast and was hiding deep in the forest. We stopped at Oxbow Bend which is very picturesque and famous for animals. We only saw a deer but the view of the majestic Tetons reflecting in the river was amazing - no animals needed to enjoy that spot. We traveled further around the park and stopped again at the Chapel for some better photos. We then headed on over to Jenny Lake - our hike for that day.

Today's hike was to Hidden Falls and Inspiration Point via a boat shuttle. We walked to the boat dock on the lake, bought our pass and headed across the clearest lake that you have ever seen. The sign at the beginning of the hike stated the trail was a mile long. It was wrong. The book that I read before going said the trail was partly easy and partly moderate as far as difficulty ratings. The book was also wrong. Since the trail was suppose to be only a mile long, I opted to not put on my hiking boots. Big mistake. I would dare say that the trail could not even be called a hike for all we did was climb. There was no walking to it, there was only climbing. We climbed the Tetons and didn't use a rope or hooks to get up there. Ok - so we didn't climb all the way to the top, but it sure felt like it. The trail was very busy with tons of people but the scenery was great. For a lot of the hike we were destined to hike at the pace of the first person in the group for we were all single file until we had to let people coming down off the trail pass. We made it to Hidden Falls, took a few photos and rested a bit before the next part. I knew the next part was going to be much harder but I was not prepared for how strenuous it was. We climbed and climbed and climbed and climbed. And climbed some more. We stopped on a rock outcropping admiring the view, thinking we had reached the point, but then saw that we still had a bit further to go. We took a deep breath and followed the crowd up the even steeper cliff side. About 200 yards from the top I took a look back and saw mom was still behind me so I went on ahead. Finally, I had made it and was exhausted. Everyone on top was breathing very hard. I heard someone hurling and coughing for the climb had made them very ill. The higher elevation and the strenuous climb was taking its toil on most everyone. I waited and looked but never saw mom. She had turned back. 200 yards from the top and she had to turn back. The elevation and strenuous climb was a little too much for her. I hurriedly took a few photos and began descending the mountain. I then saw mom resting and waiting for me. We continued back down the mountain and made it back to the boat dock. We took the shuttle back across the lake and back to our car. We were exhausted. We then looked up the trail on another source and it states 3 miles round trip and rated moderate and strenuous. I would say that is much more accurate.

Even though the morning began with ice, the sun came up with a vengeance and it got to a blistering 75 degrees today. We both got a little sun while hiking which just added to the drained feeling. After the hike, we needed some comfort food so headed back to Moose and ate at Dornans. It was a chuck wagon style outdoor restaurant and we both enjoyed a buffalo burger. We also treated ourselves to a little ice cream then headed for one more loop around the park. We were still searching for that moose. He was not to be found. Feeling sore muscles set in, we knew we had to get out and walk a bit. So we stopped at Jackson Lodge for a half mile hike along Lunch Tree Hill. We did not realize it was an uphill hike before starting, but it definitely was. It gave great views of the meadows that are at the base of the Tetons. It was then time to head back into town for our last night in Wyoming.

We checked into our hotel, cleaned out the car, prepared it for return and walked to dinner. We then checked in for our early morning flight and repacked our suitcases. It takes skill and perseverance to cram everything into a carry-on. All the driving and hiking has worn me out - nothing relaxing about this vacation. But oh the sights that I have seen......Tomorrow we head home, then I will relax.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.189s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0358s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb