Touring the Tetons


Advertisement
Published: September 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Touring the Tetons
Wyoming trip day 2

We woke to rain this morning, but knew to not worry for the weather in Jackson, WY is always changing. We partook of the breakfast the hotel was so gracious to provide joining the entire tour group from the large bus who was apparently staying at our same hotel. It was crowded and the group was certainly not from the south for they lacked a bit of 'southern hospitality' or common decency - they were just rude. We checked out of the hotel and went back to the store for a little more shopping (still replenishing the essentials that were in the suitcase that did not make it on the plane). We also grabbed a sandwich for lunch later on. Then we were off to explore.

We stopped in downtown Jackson for there were several tents set up so we went to see what was going on. They were having some type of festival where all the businesses set up booths and gave out info along with a farmers market. They were still setting up but we sampled a few treats and purchased some candied pecans (Mom is a sucker for pecans). We drove a little farther stopping at the welcome center and Elk refuge area. A quick tour and we headed into the park - Grand Teton National Park.

First stop was at the visitor center in Moose. Mom is still not feeling well so we had to take it slow and easy - no hiking. We toured the center and decided to move on. Tour buses were everywhere. When we came out the clouds were beginning to lift and portions of the Tetons were peeping through. The weather was clearing.

We continued further into the park trying to find any signs of wildlife, but they were not being hospitable either. But no worries, the Tetons provide plenty to see and as the clouds continued to move away, they had a new and different appearance around every corner. The Tetons are huge and look untouchable. They are right in front of you, but yet so far away. It is like they are taunting you. They are to be enjoyed from a distance and keeping that distance gives you perspective on just how massive they really are. There are no foothills leading up to the range, just a valley in direct contrast with the rugged glacier mountains. There are no roads in the range of mountains, but trails do exist. I am not sure how much of the trail can be considered hiking for it looks like the only way up is sheer rock climbing. There was no rock climbing on our itinerary so we continued on.

We went into the Chapel of Transfiguration and admired the beauty of the tiny chapel. We then stopped at Jenny Lake to give mom another rest and we inquired about the boat shuttle to a trail. It is running daily and hope to go back on Tuesday, assuming mom is feeling better. I told her today that I was going to start looking for another traveling partner, for she was was causing too much grief (high blood pressure, dizziness, coughing, forgetful, unhappy with her new wardrobe, hurt her leg, hurt her neck and we haven't even started hiking yet). After seeing a sign in one of the visitor centers, our motto for the day has been 'no whining', but that has not been followed too well.

A little father down the road we travelled up Signal Mountain and enjoyed the views of the valley and river below. We stopped on the way back down and had a picnic with our sandwiches we bought earlier. It was a lunch with a view as we overlooked Jackson Lake. At the bottom once again, we stopped in another chapel and by several overlooks including Jackson Dam, Oxbow Bend, Snake River, and countless others.

We ventured further down the road and visited a very primitive cabin (Cunningham Cabin). Then headed to Mormon Row to tour an old Mormon community. A wedding was taking place on the grounds, so that cut our tour a little short. I then decided it was time to head to our cabin for that was still many miles away and we were so tired of being in the car. We ventured to the north side of the park and stopped in Colter Bay for another break and a little more shopping. Have you ever heard of so much shopping on a hiking trip? Well she did need a few more clothing items and luckily found them. Then it was on to Flagg Ranch - our base for the next 3 days. It was a welcome sight. We quickly checked in, got our key and headed to the cabin. The cabins at Flagg Ranch are a bit unique. Everyone parks in the main parking area and walks to one of many units. Each cabin is actually a quad (4 units in one structure). The inside is really just a hotel room (without a TV or air conditioner) and the outside is a log cabin. We were pleased with the accommodations and went to dinner.

We ate at the lodge of the cabin. The atmosphere was very nice, the prices were very expensive and the taste not so good. We need to rethink our dinner plans for the next 2 nights. After dinner we walked down to the river behind our cabin - it was probably a quarter of a mile long and deep in the lonely brush area. The whole time I kept thinking that I needed the bear spray that was in the car. But fortunately I didn't.

I found it unusual to see how low all the water levels were. I guess their snow and rain quantities have not been up to par the past couple of years. We were disappointed that we did not see any high profile animals today (moose, bear, elk). We did see deer, pronghorn, bison, birds, swans, and rodents. We are hopeful that more will be visible tomorrow as we head into Yellowstone. I am also hopeful that Mom is feeling up to the hike I have planned or I may have to really find a new partner. No whining.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0314s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb