Grand Teton - 01 and 2 August 2009 - Days 99 and 100


Advertisement
Published: August 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Beaver swimming in the skyBeaver swimming in the skyBeaver swimming in the sky

Swan Lake - Grand Teton NP
Just south of Yellowstone. You barely leave Yellowstone and a few minutes later you are in the Grand Teton area. The two parks are so close and have very different climates. Teton is a much smaller park and the crowds tend to flock to Yellowstone mainly. Guess what, there are bears in Teton also, but this time we were greeted by the elusive moose. That set it for us. The Teton area is also so rich with wildlife, there was a moment when we shared the trail with a coyote!
We only spent two full days in the Tetons and got used again to doing things in our own pace. MacNeil, the naturalist that guided us through Yellowstone recommended us to visit an area called Oxbow Bend where we could have a chance to see moose. We spent the evening there waiting for them and when they arrived it was a group of them. A female one has put up a show diving for her dinner while her calf waited on the riverbank. Because the park is much smaller we had the opportunity to do quite a lot in those two days. We hiked an area called Two Ocean Lake and the hike covers walking through forest and meadows. The next day we hiked the Hermitage Point in the Jackson Lake area. Both hikes were truly amazing walks and the weather was so hot that we could even bathe in the cold waters of Jackson Lake. Close to the end of the Hermitage point hike there is an area called Swan Lake. It is so beautiful and peaceful that we spent a long time there and we saw beavers busy building dams.

More about Grand Teton: http://www.nps.gov/grte/index.htm


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

MoonlightMoonlight
Moonlight

Grand Teton NP
MeadowMeadow
Meadow

Two Ocean Lake in the background
Swan LakeSwan Lake
Swan Lake

grand Teton NP
Female mooseFemale moose
Female moose

Grand Teton NP
Female mooseFemale moose
Female moose

Grand Teton NP
Female mooseFemale moose
Female moose

Oxbow Bend - grand Teton NP
Female mooseFemale moose
Female moose

Two Ocean Lake - Grand Teton NP
CoyoteCoyote
Coyote

Sharing the trail with us
The work of a bearThe work of a bear
The work of a bear

This site was pretty fresh. The bear had gone through the dead tree to find insects and other munchy staff.


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb