Grand Teton and Yellowstone


Advertisement
Published: July 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Grand Teton National Park.Grand Teton National Park.Grand Teton National Park.

View from our tent - well almost.
Grand Teton national park was our stay for 4 nights and as this was bear country we opted not to use our own tent for this and used a purpose built bigger tent with 4 bunk beds and a real door. It was a bit of a shock when we first saw it but it was comfy and there was a wood burner in it if it got too cold. It did get a little nippy at night, but overall was a good deal. Generally anything in Grand Teton or Yellowstone National Parks are relatively expensive at this time of year so this was a good cheap option ($43 a night) whilst actually being in the park. Had a really good restaurant on site which was "cheap as chips" for the quality.
The areas are known for the wildlife and geothermal activity and we were incredibly lucky as we got to see what we really wanted to see, bears (both Black and Grizzly), wolves, elk, moose and of course bison (buffalo). We did also see rabbits and squirrels but these did not flick our switch that much. We did have a coyote come into the camp area and capture and eat a little ground squirrel. Life is tough for these critters.
You cannot underestimate the size of these National Parks, when moving from Grand Teton to go and see the Old Faithful Geyser in Yellowstone it was 51 miles away, and it would be another 100 miles + driving around the park to take in the areas and view points. It is well worth it though but can hit you hard in the pocket for gas. Overall now we are racking up the miles travelled and time spent in the car driving. The current total is 4000 miles and 86 hrs driving. (On board computer figures, not us with a stop watch!!!). We had a whole day doing geothermal areas which was very nice and the temps although warm were not unbearable.
Made a trip to Cascade canyon to see the hidden falls and inspiration point, which again is fantastic scenary, but that is what you get in this area. It was a nice hike and you can go as far as you want into the canyon before turning round a going back to the start point. We opted for the first drop of rain as the trigger for the return.
Inside our tent.Inside our tent.Inside our tent.

Gary testing the weight bearing capability of the bunk.
We made a little trip to Jackson, which is big for skiing and all other outdoor stuff. There is a pretty park in the centre which the only way to enter is through an arch made of antlers.
When we left Grand Teton to go to Glacier National Park in Montana is when we saw the wolves. We knew there was something going on when there was traffic jam where about 30 cars were parked up looking into the distance. A wolf had attacked a bison and taken it down and basically another 6 wolves then were running down the hill to get to there breakfast. It was all in the distance, but the kind park ranger had a scope which could clearly indicate what was going on. It was sad for the bison but great for the visitors


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

BuffaloBuffalo
Buffalo

Q. What's the difference between a buffalo and a bison? A. You can't wash your hands in a buffalo
Christmas cardChristmas card
Christmas card

This shot was taken from the tent. Please print and accept this as the Christmas card from us.


Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 16; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0469s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb