7/16/13 - Cody, WY to Devils Tower, WY


Advertisement
Published: July 25th 2013
Edit Blog Post

7/16/13 - Today we are leaving Ponderosa Campground going to Devils Tower. Very windy and we are in the high desert for much of the way. The route is through some scary mountain roads. We hit an elevation of 9062 enroute. A close call with an 18 wheeler coming around one of the mountain curves 3 feet over in our lane. I really thought we had scraped the mountainside dodging him, but luckily we did not.

Some of the rock formations are 430 to 500 million years old. Temp was 65 degrees coming down the mountain.

Ok, made it to Devils Tower National Monument RV Park - normally $12.00 with water and electric, but with America the Beautiful card = $6.00. Not a bad parki at all, but no generators after 8pm. Got informed of that at 8:30 by the park host while cooking pork chops in the electric skillet. Finished cooking and shut down the generator :-).

Temp was very cool and with the windows open, we slept very comfortable. We all stayed up a while as Dakota read us ghost stories. All laughed and had a good time. Aleta lit candles for light, Dakota watched the little DVD player which runs on 12v DC.


Additional photos below
Photos: 69, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0638s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb