Day 20 - Pinedale, WY to Cheyenne, WY


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wyoming » Cheyenne
July 10th 2010
Published: July 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today went by fast as we did a lot of different things. Started out early around 6:30 am after grabbing our free breakfast. Cold morning since we are at 7000 ft so full leathers for today.

The scenery on the ride was wonderful. Miles and miles of rolling plains with nothing but sage brush, antelopes and the occasional kamakazi prairie dog that would scoot in front of us on the road.

Our first stop was in Laramie at the Harley shop for more T-shirts. Found out later I messed up and picked up a medium for George. Oh well. Ate some lunch then headed to see Vedauwoo outside Cheyenne. This is a recreation area where there are granite boulders in the form of mountains. Very cool to look at and climb by foot or rope. This was my favorite places to go camping when I was in the Air Force in Cheyenne 30 plus years ago. The rocks are the same but the place is actually a real park now with paved roads. Kinds ruins it. I took a lot of pictures then we headed on.

We arrived at Terry Bison Ranch around 2:30pm. This is a real working ranch that is set up for visitors and they have a RV park. We scheduled to take a 4:30 pm Bison train ride but the wind kicked up like a storm was coming. It flipped the back part of the camper up like it was nothing. We had to get in the tent to hold it down until we figured that we could set the picnic table leg on the leg of the tent to hold it down. That wind is what Wyoming is all about. I should have known!

We made it just in time to the train ride and saw alpacas, llamas, camels, ostrishes, goats, horses and a whole herd of buffalo. After the ride, we went to the restaurant they have and I had to try some buffalo short ribs which were delicious. George got a Buffalo burger.

Came back and showered and did laundry before going to bed. Tomorrow we're heading to Nebraska. Whoohoo!


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Entrance to VedauwooEntrance to Vedauwoo
Entrance to Vedauwoo

This is the first outcropping of rocks as you enter the park
Ground squirrelGround squirrel
Ground squirrel

These little boogers are everywhere


Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0625s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb