Taliesin, Frank Lloyd Wright’s Home


Advertisement
Published: June 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Taliesin



Taliesin
Maureen Kelly/Robert Tait
This is my first time in Wisconsin, and I am impressed with the farms and rolling hills. Things just move a bit slower here it seems.
Spring Green, Wisconsin was our destination. Our first stop was Frank Lloyd Wright’s (FLW) Visitor’s Center/restaurant. This structure was designed by FLW to be a restaurant. After considering our options, we decided on the longest tour, the estate Tour (four hours), for tomorrow.
We browsed through the town of Spring Green, Wisconsin and came across a lovely gallery. The owner was from Germany and she had an eclectic collection of artwork.
Frank Lloyd Wright is considered, by some, to be the most inventive architect of our generation. Wisconsin is Wright’s birthplace and the site of some of his most famous structures.
Taliesin is often thought of as FLW’s personal residence, however, the term applies to the entire 600 acre property and other buildings of Wright’s design on the estate. Our tour included Hillside Home School (now Taliesin School of Architecture),Midway Farm, Tan-y-deri, Romeo and Juliet Windmill, Taliesin and even a visit to the cemetery.
Taliesin is Wright’s autobiography in masonry and wood. He built this stunning architectural masterpiece in the valley where his grandparents settled in the mid 1890’s on land reminiscent of their Welch homeland. The name Taliesin literally means “shining brow”. Most every structure includes a baby grand piano, along with massive Oriental art pieces. Taliesin was a work in progress, forever being re-built, altered, added onto, etc. etc. Wright’s life reads like a novel, love, disasters, three marriages, a soaring career and financial burdens. There are bizarre stories about his wild and outrageous parties. He was a tough master of perfection and a man with a super ego, but obviously great talent as well.




Frank L Wright Richland Center

Hillside Home School, 1902, Taliesin, Spring Green, Wisconsin
Frank L Wright



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



19th June 2007

Great place
This is a place on my to do list. It looks wonderful.

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0384s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb