Oshkosh Wisconsin - Hickory Oaks Campground


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wisconsin » Oshkosh
June 9th 2017
Published: June 12th 2017
Edit Blog Post

June 9th up at 5am and on the road early from Sault Ste Marie. Wasn't much of a lineup at US Customs. The customs officer said he trusted us that we dumped all our food and let us in with no inspection. We entered the State of Michigan and then on to the Sate of Wisconsin. This was our first time in these states. In Michigan most of our drive was through Hiawatha National Forest. Beautiful tall trees some wildlife and very few people. We then drove along the shores of Lake Michigan until we entered Wisconsin. Cottage country. Everyone seemed to have a fishing boat. Once we entered Wisconsin we hit the traffic of Green Bay. A busy freeway with six lanes. We arrived in the small city of Oshkosh. Wisconsin is in another time zone 2 hours earlier than Atlantic timezone.

Our campground Hickory Oakes was located on a farm adjacent to the city. Campsites were within groves of large hickory and oak trees. The weather in Oshkosh was beautiful. 32c with a bit of a breeze.

Joy chose Oshkosh as a stop because Joy wanted to hit the outlet shopping mall. With the current exchange rate
Camp Ground StreamCamp Ground StreamCamp Ground Stream

A dozen kids fished here.
not many deals. Joy was determined to get a bargain. Gary spent several hours sitting on the "husband benches". Joy was disappointed that Maureen was not there to help her find the deals. Gary was grateful that Joy was able to find Columbia ski clothing for the grandchildren and called it a day.

Gary's reason for stopping at Oshkosh was to visit the Oshkosh EAA AirVenture Museum. The museum has over 200 vintage, World War II, experimental and acrobatic aircraft on display in multiple hangers. We spent 3 hours and still didn't see everything. For more information on the museum see this link. http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa-museum

We also stopped by the grocery store to restock our fridge. It was surprising to find that the food prices were similar to home but $US. With the exchange rate food is now expensive here. Joy is keeping a log and recording the cost of the trip. As we were loading the groceries into the truck the receipt fell out of the bag and blew across the parking lot. Joy ran after the receipt and every time she went to step on it it blew another foot. In Joy's determination to not loose a receipt she neglected to notice a woman in her vehicle was watching this scene unfold. She got out of her vehicle laughing hysterically stating this should be on America's Funniest Videos. ...in case you are wondering Joy eventually caught the receipt.

After two days in Oshkosh we will be hitting the road early for the drive to Souix Falls, South Dakota.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

CampgroundCampground
Campground

The campground is full of large Hickory and Oak trees.
NeighboursNeighbours
Neighbours

In case you are wondering. Our trailer is the one on the right..:)
Oshkosh AirVenture MuseumOshkosh AirVenture Museum
Oshkosh AirVenture Museum

Amazing museum dedicated to airplanes. Over 200 aircraft on display. In multiple hangers. This airport plays host to a famous 7 day airshow.
US Navy World War II PlaneUS Navy World War II Plane
US Navy World War II Plane

Wings fold up for parking on aircraft carrier


Tot: 0.187s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 12; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0567s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb