Sioux Falls, South Dakota - KOA Campground


Advertisement
Published: June 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

June 11 arrived at Sioux Falls South Dakota. It was 32c and very humid. The 8 hour drive along Interstate 90 took us across the State of Wisconsin. It was was flat with very large farms that stretched to the horizon. The road was straight and a bit monotonous. Luckily there were a lot of easy access rest stops along the Interstate to stretch out legs. The farms looked prosperous and were quite lush. Sioux Falls is the largest city in South Dakota and is just across the boarder from Wisconsin. This is just a stopover until we reach our next major destination at Mount Rushmore. The stopover gave us an opportunity to visit the local Costco and stock up on meats (and cheap wine). Fortunately we stopped at filling one cart.

On Monday we visited Falls Park. The location of the water falls after which the city is named. They were not as big as Niagara Falls but still.impressive. As you may know Gary haas recently taken up a hobby of smoking pork ribs. He wanted to find an authentic South Dakota BBQ joint. Dave's Famous BBQ did not disappoint. He said Dave's ribs were the best he has tasted. Thae to hey were quite impressed that we had travelled so far and gave us 2 free bottles of their famous BBQ sauce. Irwin you have to come to Famous Dave's BBQ.

As we sit sipping our wine we commented that the trip so far has been even more amazing than we dreamed when we planned it.We will head out early Tuesday morning for Mount Rushmore.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Falls ParkFalls Park
Falls Park

Sioux Falls gets its name from these falls that flow through city. The stone contains quartz which is aa very hard stone. In the mid 1800's a mill was located here and got its power from a turbine fed by the river.
Falls ParkFalls Park
Falls Park

You can see the remains of the 1850's water turbine house and old mill in the background.
Dave's Famous BBQDave's Famous BBQ
Dave's Famous BBQ

Award winning Pit Master. Best ribs.
Dave's Famous BBQDave's Famous BBQ
Dave's Famous BBQ

We ordered the full meal fro two. Included ribs, brisket, chicken, corn muffins, coleslaw, fries, beans. Took home enough for second meal. Gary said they were best BBQ ribs he ever tasted. Something to aspire to for his smoker.


Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0407s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb