Going Up North..Wisconsin style.


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wisconsin » Hayward
August 19th 2014
Published: August 19th 2014
Edit Blog Post

IMG_5673IMG_5673IMG_5673

On the hike, with mom and dad trailing behind.
A weekend get away is one that will often "refresh" you from the chaos of everyday life. This past weekend our family and some friends headed to Northern Wisconsin for a stay at Lakewood Resorts.

Located in Cable, WI, this is a family friendly area on the lake offering condos with full kitchens 😊 We took advantage of the full kitchens and cooked dinner a couple nights on our stay there. It's nice to have a unit with a kitchen because it allows eating at a low-cost for a large number of people. Some people have the idea of get away as absolutely no cooking at all. I see your point--but think about some of the quick easy meals you can do in the kitchen. One night we made frozen pizzas and another night we had salad, spaghetti and french bread. Quick and simple and enough to feed a large number of people (there was 7 of us total.)

As far as the area goes in Cable, WI....well, it is small town Wisconsin; no question about that. But if you can easily get over that fact that you are in a small town, than, you can take time to
IMG_5768IMG_5768IMG_5768

Off we go...!
enjoy the nature and beauty of the world around you. The Northwoods Resort had beautiful hiking/biking trails in the area and offered boats for rental. Even better, kayaks/canoes/paddle boats were at no cost for the guests at the resort. We took advantage of this and took a kayak ride in the late afternoon on Saturday. It was rainy, and cold, making for a challenging kayak trip with the way the water was reacting to the weather......tough current on the lake. I was in a double kayak with my mom....quite an adventure! We made for a good team and were able to successfully travel to our destination (an island about 1-2 miles out from the lake shore) and back.

We also took advantage of the hiking trails in the area....shortly after a long morning's rain fall. Note to self: remember BUG SPRAY if going on a hike after the rain fall. We did not think this through, didn't cross any of our minds to put bug spray on our bodies prior to the hike. We were all to antsy to get outdoors after being stuck inside most of the rainy day. So off we went into the woods, the recently
IMG_5761IMG_5761IMG_5761

Post hike, and post bites...
wet woods full of mosquitoes ready to bite any humans coming close! Some parts of our hike we were nearly running on the hiking path to get through the bad walls of mosquitoes. I still found myself stopping to enjoy the nature hike while some of my hiking buddies didn't stop moving. My dad referred to the mosquito filled hike as "character building!" Which I agree with.....we all easily could have taken one step on the nature trail with a few mosquito bites and said no way, turning back right into the car. Instead, we kept going. Some hikers wanted to give up and go back, but the rest of us did not give up and encouraged the whole group to keep walking....(or some running!). Either way, we all completed the mosquito hike and enjoyed mother nature as much as possible in between all the blood sucking bites.

Some other awesome up north bonding activities that filled our weekend time were board games, puzzles, mad libs, some watched Shark Week during the rainy hours, cooking, dancing to the can-can, going into the town of Cable/Hayward to see the local shops, and spending time in the lodge. We also spent
IMG_5753IMG_5753IMG_5753

The group
some time calling the house keeping due to small problems in our condo (overflowed toilet, bugs, towel shortage.) This is not to put down the lodge at all--we still had a wonderful stay : ) One highlight for all of us was the Sunday all you can eat brunch buffet which included crab legs and roast beef. Basic breakfast items were ofcourse on the list too--french toast, pancakes, omelette station, bacon, sausage, potatoes, salads, fruit, muffins, and than some various lunch items. Also cannot forget about the ice cream and topping buffet. I had two heaping bowls....And proud to say I was not in a food-coma post eating. Some people were!

Overall, awesome weekend we all enjoyed! More proof that you can have a "vacation" just a few hours drive away from home. I now am set for the remainder of the week, feeling happy and refreshed that I was able to be out in the beauty of our world this weekend!

Happy Monday! Make sure to spend some time out in nature this week...you will thank yourself! Do it for your physical and mental well being 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

IMG_5720IMG_5720
IMG_5720

Kayaking group!


19th August 2014

Great to learn about Wisconsin!
Lovely to know about your fun vacation there! its absolutely wonderful to learn that Wisconsin is such great place to hike and bike! Your kayaking experience sounds pretty exciting as well!

Tot: 0.193s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0709s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb