The Secret Gardens of Vashon Island, Washington


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Washington
June 27th 2011
Published: June 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

First Garden First Garden First Garden

Overlooking Fern Cove
Down tree-shaded rural roads, and gravel driveways overgrown with grass, lie the hidden gardens of Vashon Island. About forty of us visited the island with Alki Tours and inhaled the fresh breeze from Puget Sound.

The Island is a 20-minute ferry ride from Seattle. It is 37 square miles in size and has a population of 10,000 people who enjoy secluded lives as islanders. The only stop lights are blinking four-way stops and there are no parking meters to be seen anywhere. We enjoyed the contrast to freeways crowded with cars.

The first garden belonged to Kate Thompson and Mary Bruno. Their view overlooked Fern Cove where the tide was coming in, lapping against the shore. Lounge chairs were placed to take advantage of the view of the water and Olympic Peninsula. Dogwood, rhododendrons and azaleas bloomed in abundance. The vegetable garden was fenced to keep the deer out.

The second garden is Hal and Molly Green's Triplebrook Garden, full of island history. This was the homestead of Jedediah Paige in the 1890s. The vegetable and berry gardens are still productive. English roses nod in the breeze and their fragrance fills the air. It has been lovingly restored.
Chess by the SeaChess by the SeaChess by the Sea

Enjoying the view.


The third garden is the Cynthia Johnson Fox Farm. Her ten acres reveal her love of France with rows of a thousand lavender plants. Artists joined with the gardeners to show their creations. This garden is filled will glass-blown flowers sparkling in the sun.

Time for lunch! We descend upon Quartermaster Inn and Restaurant for a delicious salad and croissant sandwich with ice cream and chocolate chip cookies for dessert. We needed energy to explore our next gardens! Nearby is the well-known Betty MacDonald Farm Bed and Breakfast. You will remember the humorous adventures of Betty in her books "The Egg and I" and "Onions in the Stew."

The fourth garden. Karen and Richard Person live at the southern tip of Vashon Island. What a masterful view of Gig Harbor they have! Windows are doors are the art theme for their colorful yard. All design work has been done by the owners themselves.

The fifth and final garden takes us to Sally Fox and Steve Brown's farm on adjoining Maury Island. Their abundant organic fruit and vegetables earned them the title "Farm of Merit." Dogwood, bamboo and maple surround their pond. A glass horse represents their
Second GardenSecond GardenSecond Garden

English roses.
eco-friendly horse area. It's difficult to leave these beautiful, peaceful places where nature reigns supreme!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Old TruckOld Truck
Old Truck

It's seen its better days.
Third GardenThird Garden
Third Garden

Lavender from France.
Artistic FlowersArtistic Flowers
Artistic Flowers

Glass flowers by an artist friend.
Lunch timeLunch time
Lunch time

Quartermaster Inn
Arts & Crafts ShowArts & Crafts Show
Arts & Crafts Show

No sitting please!
Fourth GardenFourth Garden
Fourth Garden

Gig Harbor beckons
Pick a WindowPick a Window
Pick a Window

Select your view
Fifth GardenFifth Garden
Fifth Garden

Dogwood in bloom
Glass HorseGlass Horse
Glass Horse

A sparkling friend


Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0493s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb