Relaxing in Yakima


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Washington » Yakima
July 13th 2008
Published: June 26th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 46.6041, -120.507

We are now in Yakima (stress on the first syllable). We had an interesting day in getting here. Started from Garibaldi and our first stop was at Cannon Beach. Our friend peter Thompson had highly recommended this to us. The coast line along here is very attractive. Cannon Beach is a holiday town , set up for visitors and well developed. It is a bit touristy but very tastefully done. The beach is very attractive. Long, sandy and safe for kids with great rock formations just off the coast to add to the scenery. We found an excellent bookshop and bought some books!! They are so cheap here it is hard to resist. We then drove to Astoria. this is at the mouth of the Columbia River. This is a huge river, they call it the Great River of the West. We spent some time at the Columbia Maritime Museum. This was excellent with many exhibits about the history of exploration and settlement along the river and the difficulty of crossing the bar where the river enters the ocean. We also toured over a lighthouse shio that used to be stationed on the bar as a warning to shipping. All very interesting.
We then spent most of the afternoon driving. We entered Washington state and drove across the state through some magnificent countryside. We saw Mt St Helens and the forests and rivers throughout here are magnificent. It was a pleasant drive.
We are ahead of our schedule which is a bonus. Tonight we found the historic area of Yakima and tasted some local wine. We had a great meal in a French Restaurant called Carousel. A little more classy than our Pizza from last night and our Lunch at Porky's today in a typical American diner and pub!!! Its all a great experience!! On to Canada tomorrow!!
Make some comments and keep in touch!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 15; qc: 28; dbt: 0.021s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb