Cascades National Park: Colonial Campground, Lake Diablo


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Washington » Winthrop
August 7th 2010
Published: August 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Cascades Nation Park Colonial Campground to Pacific Coast Trail Trailhead


Entry 21: North Cascades National Park Colonial Campground
Saturday, August 7th, 2010


Drinkin’ With The Belgians
The North Cascades National Park services the 120+ spot camping loops that line the western shore of Diablo Lakes, located in the Ross National Recreation Area in north-central Washington State (I know, a lot of titles, right?). Sophie the dog and I had arrived at the crowded campground about an two hours before dusk, giving us enough time secure the last available spot and located away from the loop crowds and right on the shore of Diablo Lake. The cost was a bonus at $12.

Happy to finally have arrived, I took to poppin’ a PBR and setting up the tent, which was literally 30 feet to the water. My closest tent neighbor was about 40 feet away, and there was a troop of Boy Scouts/Scout Masters that I chatted with; they were from Redmond, Wa., and were going to overnight canoe into Canada. They occupied 4 of the other 20+ shoreline, tent-only campsites. Each had a fire pit and a picnic table as well, mine offering a nice view of the small fishing pier and the bridge of the bridge of Hwy 20 crossing Diablo Lake.

The ice-cold water did look inviting, and of the 4 people that I witnessed jumping off the fishing pier all produced the same reaction: A brief dunking of the entire body, then a sudden bursting through the water’s surface and producing an individual demonstration of hoots, yelps, and involuntary gasps. After all, it was only 10 miles to an actual glacier.

PBRs, Round One
In short order, the only couple near me returned to their tent. Enter the Belgians. DJ and Aniline live in the German portion of Belgian, outside of Brussels, I believe. Beer in hand, DJ and Anneleene were on a 1 month trip through the U.S., from L.A. to Seattle with a tent and a rent-a-car. I admired their commitment to the trip, having done a lot of research for their initial trip to the U.S., and they had produced a detailed plan, mapping out all of the many activities that would result at the end of week 3 with the marriage to a U.S. citizen by Anneleene’s close Belgian friend.
Beginning a night of pounding beers, as dusk slowly fell and light bounced around the tree-lined lake, we talked of art (I “name-dropped” James Ensor, Belgium’s famous painter, as per the They Might Be Giants Song—thanks John and John), architecture (he’s a fan of Frank Gehry and is all for change and evolution of the past, even the 1000-year old lower level of a church in his hometown), religion (not religious, amazed by late-night cheap hotel viewing of American Preachers begging for money), teaching (he’s a teacher of high school kids), politics (Obama—still highly viewed in the world; economic bailout working; Socialism (Belgians pay an incredible 70-80% of their income in taxes. They cannot afford a house and the French are taking over the country. Too many parliaments/decision-makers in country), their travels (L.A./Hollywood, Yosemite National Park Nevada, Oregon), and American Culture (both thought that they’d see more obese people). I gave DJ the Vintage Press copy of the Raymond Caver book of short stories on behalf of the American people.

In my buzzed state, I kept “ssshh-ing” the boisterous Belgian (Anneleene had long since gone back to their tent), who tended to speak very loudly in the quiet environment, and spent a lot of time arguing as to why he should swim in the cold water (I had done so at dusk, and it was excellent! My sounds tended to be hoots).

I crawled into the comfortable sleeping bag and slept right through the night, until around 10 a.m. The Belgians were gone on a short hike, before leaving the North Cascades National Park in search of an authentic Beaver dam.

Making some good coffee and breakfast (carrying the stove and food down to the site from the vehicles, which were parked 100 feet away in the parking lot), I recharged the computer for a while and went for another morning swim, chatting with a couple with a 18-month son from Michigan.

“Sophie, wanna’ go for a walk?!”
Since I had told Scott, a friend from college, that I wasn’t going to be in Seattle until Monday Night, I had one more day and night to devote to the North Cascades National Forest. Since most of the trails were located officially outside the National Park and actually in the Okanogan National Forest, I wanted to go on an overnight backpacking hike, bring Sophie along.

Of the 6-8 various trailheads that I had passed yesterday, I opted to drive the 25 miles back east to Rainy Pass, where the famous trail crosses Hwy 20, then continues 70 more miles north to the Canadian border.

I finished all of my campsite duties, and, in 5 back-and-forth trips, toted all the materials back to the truck, then set about organizing stacks of clothes, food, the backpacker tent, etc., and then stuffing all the stuff into the backpack (which I’m always excited to use).

I bid the excellent Colonial Campground goodbye, and headed off towards the Pacific Coast Trail Granite Pass overnight hike.

Thanks for reading! Chicago Dave and Sophie the dog


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



22nd September 2010

Finished your copy of Carver's Cathedral
Hey Dave I just finished the last short story in your book of Raymond Carver. It was pleasant and easy reading. I liked this writer so much, that I'm going to give the book to the English class at my working-place-highschool. I'm gone write down your name and blog-site on the flap, so every reader will know this book is presented by you to the Belgians behalf of the American people. I wish Susy and yourself a fine ongoing trip. greetings Anneleen and Didier
22nd September 2010

Hey
Hey Dave I just finished the last short story in your book of Raymond Carver. It was pleasant and easy reading. I liked this writer so much, that I'm going to give the book to the English class at my working-place-highschool. I'm gone write down your name and blog-site on the flap, so every reader will know this book is presented by you to the Belgians behalf of the American people. I wish Susy and yourself a fine ongoing trip. greetings Anneleen and Didier

Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0582s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb