Snoqualmie Falls


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Washington » Snoqualmie
September 7th 2007
Published: September 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Snoqualmie FallsSnoqualmie FallsSnoqualmie Falls

A view from the observation platform at the top.
Just been to see the Snoqualmie Falls and it is very picturesque. There is not a lot there but the atmosphere is very tranquil and well worth a visit.
The water fall has a drop of 270 feet and lands in a 65 foot deep pool.
There are two hydro electric plants there. The construction of the first was started in 1898 and the second added in 1910. Between the two stations they generate nearly 42,000 kw which is enough to power around 16,000 homes.
I think that the idea of hydro electric power generation is absolutely brilliant but why o why does the building that it is contained in have to be so bloody ugly when the surroundings are so beautiful.
One of the doors to the buildings was open and I saw painted on the side of the turbines that it was 40,000hp span at 300rpm with 280 foot head of water which is fed by 2 8 foot diameter pipes.

The trail down to the bottom is about 1/2 a mile and quite steep. It is not a problem on the way down but when you have a grumpy 6 year old with you the journey back
The FallsThe FallsThe Falls

A view from the board walk at the bottom
up can be difficult. The only way I could get Aisha to come back up was to sit her on my shoulders and walk up. I still beat Chloe & Ellie to the top.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Electric Generation StationElectric Generation Station
Electric Generation Station

Why is it so ugly?


8th September 2007

I quite like the building - they just need to take all the crappy containers away from it. Looks beautiful - how dare you have beautiful and sun together. It's been overcast and muggy here :( no beer here then, Russ!?
8th September 2007

Beer
No but we had some when we got home

Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0545s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb