Seattle (2nd time around)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Washington » Seattle
July 25th 2012
Published: August 14th 2012
Edit Blog Post

First of all i have to say HOORAY!!!!! we have got the charger for the netbook back! It was left in Seattle so all my blogging had to be handwritten and this is why i havent posted anything for a couple of weeks and it will probably take me at least another week to catch up.

25th-26th July '12 Vancouver to Seattle, Washington U.S.A.

We left Vancouver by Greyhound Bus 20 minutes later than scheduled due to the bus driver performing all his vehicle checks at least twice! – but at least we knew everything worked!

It was only about 30 minutes to the border and as you couldn’t take any food across we scoffed our sandwich down. After the last Canada/USA border crossing last year I was taking no chances! This time however it was very civilized, the bus just pulled into a parking space, we all got off and picked up our bags and joined the queue. We were asked lots of questions (politely), the bags went through a scanner and then we were in! Not a screeching police car or gun in sight. No one shouted at us or was hostile at all, this must
SeattleSeattleSeattle

Pioneer Square
be the difference between west and east coast USA.

After 4 ½ hours we arrived in Seattle and began the long hike uphill to the Moore Hotel on 2nd Street. We had stayed here the last time we were in Seattle and loved its’ location, really close to the Pike Place Market. I must have looked a right sweaty state trudging along bent in two with my rucksack as some random bloke sidled up to me and asked if I wanted to buy methadone! Seeing as I can’t breathe and talk at the same time when going uphill I just ignored him.

Once we were checked in we headed out for tea and I remembered our last visit, checking out all the restaurants, finding them too expensive and ending up at a Chinese, so we just headed for it. Once again the food was superb and a good price. So if you want a good huge plateful of tasty food try the Ghengis Khan on 1st street opposite the main entrance to the Pike Place Market, ignore the musty smell when you first walk in, you soon don’t notice it and the food really is worth it!
SeattleSeattleSeattle

Chief Seattle

The next day it was blazing hot sunshine and we went to look around the PP Market and it was just as great as I remembered. Full of stalls selling weird and wonderful things, with a guy playing piano on a street corner, a group of lads busking outside a coffee shop, lots of people laughing and chatting – a marvellous place!

From there we headed down to the waterfront and walked miles down to the old Pioneer area. Here were lots of buildings dating from the late 1800s, little boutiques replacing the former brothels and some of the original saloons. There was a bust of Chief Seattle, who had originally welcomed the whites to his lands and whom the city is named after.

After a good look around we caught a bus up towards the top end of the city and got off at the end of the free zone. (They have a great free bus system covering the main downtown area). We then walked through Bell Town, which is the area where grunge music first began, but is now an upmarket yuppy district. We were heading for the Space Needle – which is a distinctive tower
SeattleSeattleSeattle

Old Saloon
in the skyline. Due to cost we didn’t go up it but we did wander around the park surrounding it.

We used the monorail to get back into downtown and then took a bus out to Capitol Hill. This is now known as the ‘alternative’ area. There were some interesting shops to potch about in and we walked the length of Broadway and saw a great Jimi Hendrix statue (he was born here). There was also a church with a big sign saying ‘Come as you are’ which made us laugh – Nirvana clearly still has some influence here! We then headed back into the city on foot. We stopped for a rest in the shopping area and people watched for a while – my feet had actually refused to work at this point! Then slogged back up the hill to the hotel. After an hour or so I could actually stand again so it was back to the Ghengis Khan for tea.

That night I couldn’t sleep as my feet were hurting so much!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

SeattleSeattle
Seattle

Pioneer Square
SeattleSeattle
Seattle

Capitol Hill, Jimi Hendrix
SeattleSeattle
Seattle

The Space Needle


Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0306s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb