File Under, "Do You Really Care?"


Advertisement
Published: June 9th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday (June 7) marked 50 years since a mystery man known widely as D.B. Cooper ("Dan Cooper" was the name he used for his one-way ticket) leapt from a Boeing 727's rear stair door with $200,000 somewhere over Southwest Washington. It remains the only unsolved case of air piracy in U.S. history.
It was 106 years ago Seattle got its very first professional hockey team, the Seattle Metropolitans, an expansion team formed by the owners of the Pacific Coast Hockey Association. The Mets would prove the first Seattle team to take home a national championship.

“Yesler’s Cookhouse, built in 1853 at the foot of Mill Street, was really the first restaurant in the little village of Seattle,” begins the book “Restaurants of Seattle 1853-1960.” Written by Mrs. Hattie Graham Horrocks, the publicly available PDF details restaurants as they opened and closed, describing them with varying levels of precision. Pulling from old menus, newspaper advertisements, and city directories for information, it shows off menus of 25-cent meals from 1882 and hotel dining rooms serving Olympia oyster stew for 50 cents in 1913.

Bon Marche' was the Seattle-based chain sprung out of the Great Seattle Fire of 1889. It anchored Northgate Mall and weathered the storms of downtown Seattle’s retail core before being rebranded as Macy’s in 2003. In 1929, the Bon Marché unveiled its nine-story flagship building in the heart of downtown Seattle. The chain was acquired by the parent company of Macy's in the '90s, and in 2003 it became the Bon Macy's, then later just Macy's. It closed in February 2020. Sad.

The Seattle Supersonics were Seattle’s first big winner, winning it all in 1979. We understand the team left town for beautiful Oklahoma City. The Sonics took their name from another defunct effort, Boeing’s answer to the Concord, the 2707 supersonic transport.
Lakeview Cemetery is nestled atop Capitol Hill, this burial ground was established in 1872 and now serves as the final resting place for numerous iconic American figures, and the founder of Nordstrom department store, John W. Nordstrom. Yet, one of the most popular plots remains that of Brandon and Bruce Lee, father and son martial artists and actors.

An iconic Seattle landmark for both locals and tourists alike is turning 114 years old today: Pike Place Market. One of the oldest continuously operated markets in the country, Pike Place Market has defined Seattle's shopping experience for over a century now. The market was born in 1907 as the result of public outcry over high food prices as the city was seeing a staggering increase in population at the turn of the century.

These might be great reasons to visit?

Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 33; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb