Seattle Party Time, Food and Drink


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
United States' flag
North America » United States » Washington » Seattle » Bell Town
April 26th 2009
Saved: May 29th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Jack's Fish SpotJack's Fish SpotJack's Fish Spot

A must stop for lunch, and to ship some fresh fish back home to friends and fmaily. We have never met Jack.
Seattle is our favorite American city, and among our favorite in the world. Seattle has it all, great shopping, outstanding food, very walkable, interesting music venues, and some liquid sunshine in between bright, sunny days. It is a town where you can wear most anything in your wardrobe, at one time or another. But bring good walking shoes and a cheap umbrella.

We always stay in Belltown, since it is close to our favorite restaurants and downtown shopping. Our current favorite is Hotel Andra at 4th and Virginia. Others on our list include: Inn at the Market, Pensione Nichols, and Inn at Harbor Steps, a fabulous urban bed and breakfast, all on First Avenue.

We always take a car from the Seattle airport, from Elias Car Service, the best in town, and quite affordable. Elais is the best, and is always on time! Once in town, we walk, or use the free downtown bus services to navigate the city. A car is not necessary, and even a burden to drive and park.

One of our first stops is Jack's Fish Spot near Pike Market. Jack sells fresh fish and seafood, as well as a mean platter of scallops
New StadiumsNew StadiumsNew Stadiums

Qwaet Field for the Seahawks, and next door to the Mariners new ballpark, Safeco Field. Both are walking distance from downtown Seattle hotels.
and chips, along with the usual fish and chips fare, oysters, chowder, and seafood cocktails. We have also sent crab, salmon and halibut back home to the family often.

The next stop is usually the holy grail of shoe stores,, J. Gilbert on First Avenue in Belltown. Ask for Katy if John himself is not there. You will love the shoe collection, purses, bags, and women's fashions. For the guys, the high end stuff is enough to warrant spending some of your next bonus. If you fail here, try C. C. McKenzie across the street. Ladies shoes and fashion again, but a real winner. If you can afford it, stop by Kuhlman on First, for a pair of custom denims, or the latest caps and hats. Along the way, numerous boutiques and shops will tempt you. We like the Finerie for the latest men's fashions.

The downtown area has the flagship Nordstrom store, always a treat. Close by are the Bon (now Macys), Niketown, and the usual big box stores. It is also the place to catch the famous Seattle monorail out to Seattle center for the fabulously unique Experience Music Project of Paul Allen. EMP is a must stop for all of you music fans. Elvis, Dylan, Hendrix, you name it. And for those of you new to Seattle, take The Duck, a WW2 amphibious vehicle, for a tour of the city and Lake Union.

When the dinner bell rings, we always head for one of Tom Douglas' famous eateries: Lola, our favorite, Gahlia Lounge, Ettas, Palace Station, or Serious Pie. We usually manage to hit three or four on each trip here, though we occasionally stray to a nearby hot spot, like Union, Crush, Wild Ginger, Tilth, or BOKA. But Lola is our favorite, serving all three meals of the day, and with a strong Mediterranean menu, hits the mark 100% of the time. Some of our favorites are: the tagines, spreads, kabobs, and grilled fish. And always save room for dessert. Ask for Ben or Victoria, as they are the best wait staff in town. Serious Pie makes the best pizza we have ever had. It is called the cherry bomb pizza.

Several must stops should fill your day. One is the giant Uwajimaya Supermarket in the International section of town. We always walk, and take a free bus back uphill to the downtown area. It is simply the best Asian supermarket in the entire U.S. Plus it has about 15 hawker stalls for ethnic Asian food and take out. In the market, the fresh fish and produce will take your breath away. The sushi is always fresh, and the gift shop always has things to buy for the folks back home.

Pike Place Market is a must stop if you have never experienced it. The famous pig statue and the flying fish are the big attractions. But we also buy fresh flowers for the room, gifts for friends back home, fresh fruit for snacks, and perhaps a glimpse of somebody famous. And across the market, sits our favorite bakery, Le Panier, home of the best croissants, cookies, and baguette sandwiches. We always bring some back home.

The most spectacular site is the new Seattle Public Library in the downtown area. Designed by Rem Koolhaus, it is by far the most iconic and ultra modern library in the world. It is Disneyland for book lovers, and world travelers. I guarantee you will love it.

The City is full of great bakeries, including one at Dahlia Bakery, just across the street from our hotel. Their rustic white bread makes the best toast. And their coconut cream pie bite is the best dessert snack in the world. But other great bakeries are nearby, like Macrina, and Acme. It just depends on your preferences, and your hunger. Plus there are at least two coffee places on every block in the downtown area.

When it comes time for evening fun, several good music venues are in walking distance. This includes Benaroya Hall, where we have seen the Seattle Symphony with Gehrard Schwartz, and the famous Triple Door, where we saw the most popular version of Louie Louie performed by the Kingsmen. Another venue about a block away is Jazz Alley, where we have seen Average White Band, Tower of Power, Josh Redman, and Jake. The Paramount and Moore Theatres are also just a 7 iron away.

We never have enough time here to do everything. We have also made many nice friends in the area. The nearby area also offers the two new ballparks, just south of downtown, the great Puget Sound ferry system, the University of Washington, Mt. Rainier, and the up and coming Capitol hill areas. Bring your apetite, and lots of cash.

COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Comments only available on published blogs

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0296s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb