Deception Pass


Advertisement
Published: October 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

PinePinePine

a very tall pine next to the camper
We've traveled about 3,500 miles so far of the 10,000 that we anticipate going. Ron figured out how to add a map to our entry. If you click 'fit route' on the map it will show our trip so far.


This entry will be lots of pictures so be sure to scroll past the map. Right now our camper is parked next to two enormous pines at Deception Pass State Park. We'll be here total of 8 nights - a very long lay over for us right now. It will be nice to slow down a bit. The park is on Whidbey Island, north of Seattle. This park is so picturesque, it is like camping in a postcard. Towering pine trees, ferns, huge boulders. I don't think pictures will do it justice. This is the most visited state park in Washington. The name has something to do with early explorers, in the late 1790's, not knowing there was a pass between two islands.

From the nearby beach we can see several snowcapped mountains in the distance and harbor seals in Puget Sound.


While camped here Mark came for a 2 day visit on Oct.
Deception PassDeception PassDeception Pass

Our campsite - very roomy and quite private
9. On the first day we walked ( a walk for him , a hike for us) the trails at the Deception Pass bridge, located 2 geocaches, investigated tide pools and had lunch at a roadside stand - Dungeness crab and shrimp sandwiches and oysters and fries. The weather has been fantastic - sunny days in the low 60's and cool nights. I'm sure the rain is on the way though.


On Monday the 12th, Ron and I took a ferry from Anacortes to Friday Harbor in the San Juan Islands - about an hour ride. This is a huge car ferry but we were walk on passengers. We dressed for bad weather, but it turned out to be sunny and cool. There were some beautiful views of Mt. Baker from the ferry. Friday Harbor is a nice little harbor town with lots of places to eat and enjoy the views.


Here is a quick update on the windows in the camper, they still work…. HOWEVER now the left turn signal makes a dinging noise (like when you leave your key in the ignition) every time we use it. We couldn't figure out what was wrong the first time it happened, but now we're used to it.




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

down falldown fall
down fall

That is Ron and Mark at one end of a downed tree while I'm taking a picture at the oher end!
Tide poolTide pool
Tide pool

These are small anemones in the tide pools at Rosario Beach - the largest was quarter size.
Mt. BakerMt. Baker
Mt. Baker

Mt. Baker from the ferry


13th October 2009

wonderful trip
I am having such fun watching and waiting for your blogs! The pictures are great and the map is a great idea too! I clicked on it to see how far you've gone. So amazing and so fun!
16th October 2009

so much fun
I am having so much fun reading your blog as well. Sometimes I read it before my mom so I tell her about what you have written and where you are. The pictures are great as well. Looks like quite the adventure!! Can't wait until the next entry!! :)

Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0522s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb