A Breath of Fresh Air


Advertisement
Published: April 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Washington's incredibly bipolar spring weather teased us with another glimpse of the elusive sun this weekend. Thankfully we were in a perfect place to enjoy this rare scrap of warm weather-the Olympic Peninsula.

My parents moved back to Sequim after years of restlessly circulating around the U.S. and now occupy the house that once belonged to my grandparents. Despite leading what I feel to be a rather nomadic existence, the Olympic Peninsula has been one place I have returned to frequently.

Port Townsend in particular is a great town. Discovered by the western world during one of Captain Vancouver's exploratory journeys to the Pacific Northwest, the area was already inhabited by numerous First Nation tribes. The city really boomed during the late 1800's, the time at which much of its famed Victorian architecture was built. Today it is a quirky mix of tourist trap, historical site, bohemian enclave, and Northwest flavor. New Age shops and funky pubs have taken up residence in the old brick buildings along Water Street. Dreadlocked youth play the guitar in smoky coffee shops while conservatively-clad retirees poke around in antique stores. There is certainly something for everyone.

Rather than shopping we spent a large part of the day at Fort Worden State Park. Fort Worden served as an army base from 1902-1953. Along with two other forts it was considered a strategic tool in the defense of Pacific Northwest waters. As it turns out the fort was never involved in any type of conflict, and is now for recreational use only. We wandered along the beach and admired the picturesque Point Wilson lighthouse, the tallest on Puget Sound.

We also explored Battery Kinzie, one of several artillery batteries in the fort. With its dark passages and graffiti covered walls it reminded me of something out of a horror movie. To add to the creepy atmosphere, someone was playing the flute deep in the bowels of the battery and the haunting melody echoed through the entire structure. ("Sh*t man, that weird dude is in there playing the flute again", said two high school skateboarders who passed us on the path.)

We finished off the day downtown with a pint of beer and some fish and chips downtown. It was a great weekend. To anyone who is visiting our corner of the world I would recommend a visit to Port Townsend. To those
What a Charming CoupleWhat a Charming CoupleWhat a Charming Couple

My parents enjoy a stroll
of us who live nearby I suggest we appreciate it.







Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Let us out! Let us out!
Let us out!

Okay I really don't know what we were thinking with this one...
Battery KinzieBattery Kinzie
Battery Kinzie

One of the massive cannons used to be attached to this ring. Each took a team of 51 men to successfully load and fire.
Alexander's CastleAlexander's Castle
Alexander's Castle

Built by a Scottish minister for his bride only to find she had married someone else in his absence. Who wouldn't choose a man who built them a castle?


14th May 2008

Send to Port Townsend News
Hannah, It's a very good article. You would need to do "slight" editing. (a couple of words) and this would be a great piece for Port Townsend. I enjoyed everything, but the picture of that older couple on the beach. Dad
20th August 2008

Oh, I think the photo of the couple on the beach is nice!

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0374s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb