Home Sweet Oregon


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » West Coast
June 16th 2008
Published: June 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

A little crabbyA little crabbyA little crabby

Our friend skitters away after a close encounter
Ditched the city chaos to return to my beautiful home state of Oregon for a week's vacation. I think the world of Seattle, but do frequently feel claustrophobic in the city. The fresh sea air and open spaces were a perfect remedy. Few places compare to the Pacific Northwest in natural beauty, and I feel lucky to live here. In all my travels I have never really found anywhere I have been more in love with than the Oregon Coast.

A true Oregonian never utters the phrase “I am going to the beach” (unless of course she is going on vacation to California). The only place Oregonians go is “the coast”. I suppose that is because a beach implies somewhere one lays in the sun, and in Oregon it is rarely sunny and usually too windy to lounge around without getting doused in sand. For many of you this may sound depressing, which is fine with me. If a happening beach scene is what you seek than please stay away, we’d prefer to do without the crowds.

The Oregon coast has a moody, natural beauty. Rolling gray clouds interspersed with piercing sunlight, jagged rocks, spectacular marine life, thick forest, and breathtaking views.

It’s really too cold to swim without a wetsuit and most people would think it is crazy to go in even with one. But even I, who am not a great swimmer nor a great fan of the cold, am willing to take the plunge to snorkel and take a look at the amazing world beneath the surface. Not only are there a fascinating variety of fish, crustaceans, and marine plants, but also seals and sea lions. Gray whales are frequently spotted along the coast.

Every time we wandered down to the shore near home a curious seal would stick his head above the surface of the water, bobbing closer and closer while he spied on us. Pretty soon his inquisitive friends would swim over and before long we would be the entertainment of twenty gawking seals!

So I spent my vacation walking on the beach, hiking, collecting shells and sea glass, climbing on the rocks above the ocean, and looking in tide pools. Jealous? Don’t be-its too cold.



Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Dinner?Dinner?
Dinner?

No, we just had a look and let him go
HeyHey
Hey

Oregon Coast
FootprintsFootprints
Footprints

Agate Beach
SandSand
Sand

Agate Beach
FlowersFlowers
Flowers

Agate Beach
Yaquina HeadYaquina Head
Yaquina Head

Agate Beach
SunsetSunset
Sunset

Agate Beach
ShellShell
Shell

Agate Beach
StreamStream
Stream

Agate Beach
GullsGulls
Gulls

Agate Beach
CraigCraig
Craig

Messing around with the color settings on my camera
A SpyA Spy
A Spy

He was soon joined by 10 more
Joy of the SeaJoy of the Sea
Joy of the Sea

Oregon Coast


20th August 2008

nice article
This is a very nice, well-written article. Makes one want to take a trip to the Oregon coast ASAP! Next time you are in Washington, you might try a trip to La Push. You will enjoy hiking the beaches there, from First Beach on down to Kalaloch.

Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 15; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0863s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb