Mt. Rainier National Park


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Washington » Mt Rainier
September 23rd 2013
Published: September 23rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Today we thought we saw the sun trying to peek out, so we headed for Mt. Rainier, about 50 miles away. Even before we entered the park, we drove for miles through old growth forests of Douglas Fir, western red cedar, and western hemlock. The trees were huge, over 100 feet tall. As we entered the park, the road cut a narrow tunnel through the trees as we ascended the mountain. With overcast skies and mist rising from below, it was very eerie.

There were no breathtaking panoramic views to be had today, but the park was, nevertheless, breathtaking. At our first stop, I couldn’t believe the huge rocks and fallen trees in the riverbed of the Nisqually River. This is a glacial river fed by Mt. Rainier’s glaciers as well as by snowmelt and heavy spring rains. The roar of this huge river in June must be deafening. Even now there is plenty of water rushing down, as Lindsay can attest.

We traveled on up to Paradise Lodge where Lindsay last visited on July 4, 1964. He has a nice picture of himself on a sunny day with snow up to the roof of the tourist bus. These old National Park Lodges never fail to impress with their huge beams and rustic architecture. Paradise Lodge was constructed with local cedar. Our outside lodge pictures lack just one thing – the glacier covered Mt. Rainier looming over the lodge. The mountain was completely socked in, and the mist/fog/drizzle was like icy pellets on our skin. It’s ironic that I’ve seen Mt. Rainier from Seattle, but today it was nowhere to be seen. The guidebook says that if you visit on a cloudy day, you are experiencing the mountain in its most frequent guise, cloaked in moisture and hooded by snow. At Paradise, the average yearly snowfall is 126 inches.

A “high point” in our trip was going through Morton, WA where we, of course, took pictures - - and Lindsay scored a hat with Morton, Washington on it. All in all, not a bad day!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Nisqually RiverNisqually River
Nisqually River

Fed by Mt. Rainier glaciers, snowmelt, and rainfall
Mt. Rainier with Lodge in forgroundMt. Rainier with Lodge in forground
Mt. Rainier with Lodge in forground

Can't you see Mt. Rainier?


24th September 2013
Mt. Rainier with Lodge in forground

Wooooo....Weeeee! Love this last photo with lodge in background.
Also the first picture is the best photo of you two ever! Soooo is Morton WA named after THE Morton family? Are you famous? You used the word eerie..love eerie! The whole journey there sounds so captivating! Wonderfully written. One morning P. & I drove past the Tetons in fog without the weeest hint of anything bigger than life being right there beside us. Had to believe in faith. I remember thinking..that is like God who is so near. What a grand time you two are having. You both look so well. Wonder where our next stop will be What ever it is I know it will be good. Safe driving ya'll...meantime we hold our breath. E & P

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0517s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb