Day #3 Off to Canada!


Advertisement
Published: June 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

ReneReneRene

Rene found this "Crescent" wrench and thought it would be a cool thing to bring with us. I guess his load wasn't heavy enough, I only wish to be as strong lol....
(For you guys who are not familiar with Washington State geography, Mt Vernon(city) is approximately 20 miles south of Bellingham.)

Surprisingly, after almost 100 miles of riding and 10+ hrs of saddle time the day before, Rene and I woke up today with nothing more than sore butts, luckily! Our legs felt fresh and strong for what laid ahead, another 80 or so miles to Vancouver B.C.

After Starbucks and a hearty breakfast at Denny’s, we left Mt. Vernon and headed north, to Bellingham. The roads to Bellingham were not easy, with our sore glutes, the last thing we needed was a rough road. After miles and miles of bone-jarring pedaling, the road pointed up, and up, and up, and then became curvy. To increase the stress, this 2-lane, narrow highway became “shoulder-less”, ay yay yay! With the agony of climbing hills, there is usually an equivalent reward, the thrill and danger of descending (for me anyway, Rene doesn’t like to go fast down hills, especially when it’s curvy, no to mention fully loaded)

Bellingham is a very nice, quaint city. Rene and I liked it a lot, especially the historic Victorian structures.

Before Blaine, WA,
ScenicScenicScenic

Chuckanut Drive
we rode through an Indian reservation, “The Lummi Nation”. It must be bright there all the time. (haha! Get it? Ok, I know, I’m a dork 😊
As we approached this Casino in the tribe land, Rene had this bright idea of playing slots for a few, with hopes of winning some dough, perhaps he wanted to stay at The Hyatt in Vancouver, B.C. instead of staying in a hostel 😉. He went inside the casino but before he did, he told me that he would be back out in just a couple of minutes and that after he was done, it would be my turn(you see, there is always someone with our bikes, ALWAYS), I agreed. Rene came out after 30 minutes had passed, I asked him if I even needed to go in there and take my turn with the slots and all he said was, “No, let’s go! (smirking)” I’m thinking to myself, “Yes! We’re staying at a 5-star hotel!” We left the casino and as we were pedaling away, I asked him, “So, how much did you win?” He replied, “$20.00.”
“Twenty measly dollars?? Are you kidding?” I asked, and also said, “My conversation with this
ScenicScenicScenic

Ok, see how I'm tilted to the side? That's because my bike/load weighs 100lbs!(ok, maybe not that much, but sure felt like it!:)
Filipino couple I hung out with outside while you were inside winning your riches was worth a lot more than $20.00!” I mean, good job Rene! :D
Before reaching Blaine, I had an epiphany; I have family in Surrey, B.C.! I called them and asked if Rene and I could stay the night in Surrey instead of racing to Vancouver in the dark, my uncle was very welcoming so Surrey was our next stop. Yay, no camping tonight(I love camping but what’s better? Sleeping in a comfy bed after a night of “roughing it” of course)

Next entry will be from Vancouver, see us next time... ciao, au revoir and all that…..



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Cool bikesCool bikes
Cool bikes

We will be camping here on the way back home...
MannyManny
Manny

Hello!
ReneRene
Rene

Hello!
Bellingham!Bellingham!
Bellingham!

I almost got ran over crossing the street to take this picture lol...
EpiphanyEpiphany
Epiphany

Calling my fam in B.C., lost and hungry in the middle of farmland.
Oh CanadaOh Canada
Oh Canada

Peace Arch...
Oh CanadaOh Canada
Oh Canada

Peace Arch...


23rd July 2007

Hellooooooo?
Rene, thank you so much for not seeking the need for speed when going down a hill, which could cause you to loose control once you've reached your bikes max speed. The sound of bones crushing on the pavement couldn't possibly be the reason for why you do this. Manny?! Helloooooo?! Are you paying attention?! You crazy thrill seeker!

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0442s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb