Deception Pass


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Washington » Anacortes
September 14th 2017
Published: September 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

blog 09-14-17 Deception Pass

There were so many phone calls to make and blogs to post and internet things that needed our attention that we had to go to the rec hall to see if we could get internet there. There were 2 bars on the phone so we were thrilled and spent about 2 hours sitting in the sun getting our internet activities done.

By mid afternoon we were ready to head on our last tourist activity here before we left this area. Deception Pass was about a 20 min drive and the weather was perfect for the experience.

Captain Vancouver was in this area in 1792 and thought that the water coming from between these two rocks was a swift moving river, but one of his men took a crew and small boat and explored and discovered it was actually a passage through the islands. Hence the name "Deception Pass".

It is a tricky pass to navigate with it's 7 mph current and narrow passage as evidenced by the pictures.

We photographed the bridge and passage as much as we could even walking out half way on the bridge. That was a thrill and after we were there for a short time both of us were ready to head for the rocks.

Next we went to explore La Conner and after going over the rainbow bridge finally found downtown. There were some neat shops and after looking at some menus in restruants we decided on a place with waterfront dining. We sat outside and both had delicious meals while watching the boats and one paddle boarder go by.

At home the boys were thrilled we returned and after a walk we all settled down for a restful night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0306s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb