09-10-17 La Conner, WA


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Washington » Anacortes
September 10th 2017
Published: September 11th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Blog 09-19-17 La Conner, WA

Boy are we getting good at breaking camp. After 4 days in Leavenworth there was no preperation the night before to pack up so in the morning we had it all to do. But we have gotten efficient doing the tasks at hand and before you knew it the dogs were walked and there was nothing else to do but drive away.

The night before we had decided to take Rt 2 across the Cascades instead of driving way out of our way to take the interstate. I had talked to a local person the night before and she assured me that trucks take Rt 2 all the time with no problems especially with no snow in the forecast. So off we went and the scenery knocked our socks off. Some of the pictures show the mountains but the beauty of it was outstanding.

We drive up and over Steven's Pass at 3600 ft where there is a ski resort and some kind of attraction this time of year because the parking lot was full. Maybe hikers. The road downhill was fairly steep and long but the mountains were gorgeous so we didn't mind a slow ride.

Rt 2 ran right into I-5 and we took that north to Anaconda where we picked up a local road that took us to the campground. This campground is another Thousand Trails and we are both members and we pay nothing to stay here. No campsites are reserved so you have to drive in and pick a site to your liking then report to the ranger station so they know where to find you. Sometimes it's a real challenge to find a good site but this time we got lucky and found one to our liking and it even has sewer. Most sites don't have sewer so when you are staying more than a few days the storage tanks could reach their capacity. So we are free to have as many showers as we want and use the toilet anytime.

The kids have a fairly large yard that is completely shaded, good for them but today it was a little cool so I was wishing for some sun. We took a little ride around the facility to get our bearings, saw a little news on the hurricane, then checked out the beach area. It is rocky but with small round rocks and lots of wood washed up in previous high tides. We are on the sound that eventually winds it's way out to Skagit Bay, then the San Juan Islands, then the Pacific. So the water here is tidal.

We spent the last of the evening at the camper, had dinner then read for a while before an early night to bed.

Side note:: Don't know when I can publish another blog in the next week, we do not have cell service at the park. We are in Thousand Trails Park, La Conner, WA


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0494s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb