Fun fact!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Virginia
August 28th 2006
Published: August 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Here's a trivia question for all you history and anthropology enthusiasts: Which European country has the tallest people?

. . .

Sorry, Jessie, it isn't Germany.

. . .

Nope. . . guess again, Nadja.

. . .

It's the NETHERLANDS! Who would have thought? Apparently, the average height of a Netherlander has increased an astonishing TEN INCHES since 1945, thanks to better nutrition. Now, the average man is 6'1" and the average woman is 5'7". Isn't that incredible?

Advertisement



29th August 2006

that's only because they're wannabe Germans. They're just trying to blend in.
1st September 2006

I was gonna guess Swedes
because they recently surpassed the US, although seemingly they've been surpassed! anyway, good for starting one. I will now subscribe to it so I can read your every thing. and I will have no such epiphany about how you talk for ages, lol. :) it's all very conversational and all that. What I think would be great, however, would be for you to gradually go into Scots dialect a la Robert Burrrrns. :) Now that would rock. ~N~
1st September 2006

Ach awae, lassie!
I just might if you're no careful. . .
6th October 2006

ZOMG
Hah, really? That's craziness! Now I want to know what country in the world has the tallest and shortest people...
7th October 2006

Prepare yourself for a shock. . .
I know, isn't that weird? I found the link to the original article, which also lists the world's shortest people. The shortest people overall are the pygmies of Central Africa. The shortest nation is Japan. And the shortest people of European descent are. . . white Americans! Can you believe that? The article gives a few suggested reasons, which (depressingly) help this fact make sense.

Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0655s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb