Sailing Chesapeake


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Virginia » Yorktown
May 16th 2015
Published: May 16th 2015
Edit Blog Post

imageimageimage

Tangier dock master Milton Parks, 83 - the national treasure!
Our ports of call (anchoring outs or marinas) included so far very interesting and historically significant places set up in a beautiful part of the country. But before we could get to Chesapeake we had to round Cape Hatteras and that was a bit of adventure with a night of steady 25 knots gusting to 28. A double riffed main with the staysail carried us through admirably even if there was too much noise that night for Natalya's taste. The seas did not look pretty. But then again no one looks pretty all the time save our friend Carrie (I hope she reads this)😊! The morning saw us coming into Norfolk, yielding the channel to G.H.W. Bush - one of if not the largest aircraft carrier in the world. And the world is apparently its oyster.

So then we had docked at Yorktown, visited Jamestown and Williamsburg, anchorEd out across the Yorktown at Sarah's creek, then sailed around Stingray point and anchored near Deltaville on Rappahannock, then sailed to Onancock on the eastern shore and finally the long awaited Tangier! The island that has been ceding its grounds to Chesapeake with some 500 of its inhabitants (watermen and their families)
imageimageimage

The Art Gallery in Norfolk
being uncertain of their world's future. They are harvesting the bulk of the bay's crab for the country. We had a great time on that tiny island lost in time with no cell phone or Internet connection. I had visited the island some 23 years ago. But that's another story. Yesterday we sailed to Solomons Is. We will stay here for a few days soaking up some local cuisine, visiting galleries, sightseeing and provisioning. The next stops are St. Michael's, Oxford and then on to Annapolis.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

imageimage
image

Tangier
imageimage
image

Jamestown, the first settlement, 1607
imageimage
image

Williamsburg
imageimage
image

Williamsburg
imageimage
image

The field where Cornwallis surrendered to Washington.
imageimage
image

Milton Parks


16th May 2015

Loving it.
Just got my first blog notice! Loving it! You are approaching my old stomping ground,

Tot: 0.286s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0751s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb