Rest and Recovery 56 miles/3400’


Advertisement
Published: May 25th 2018
Edit Blog Post

The ability of the human body to replenish and restore stressed muscle tissue is an amazing thing.

I must confess that after yesterday’s bike ride I was totally exhausted. The ride started out immediately with very steep ups and downs and continued for at least the first 20 miles. By that time my legs were burning and it was just a matter of survival to finish the day. Naturally there was a steep three mile climb near the end. It was a very tough day.

I woke up this morning feeling sore and apprehensive about today’s ride.

Thankfully and unexpectedly the legs seemed fine and the 56 miles and 3500 feet of climbing weren’t nearly as bad as feared.

Bruce and I had a splendid day!

We were on the “Wilderness Road” for most of the day.
Wilderness Road dates back to Native American times and was the thoroughfare for trappers, hunters and settlers heading West.

We stopped in the Newbern “ Wilderness Museum” where there were displays of the earliest settlers moving West. The volunteer there, “Margaret” had lived near there for her entire life and gave us a great tour.

She sure didn’t fit the profile of what we expected. She has completed three marathons and several Triathlon’s. An amazing lady!

The most significant sightings along the way were:
Rhododendrons 
Double wides
Flagpoles with American and Confederate Flags
United States Marine Corps Flags
Green grass
People mowing grass on riding lawnmowers
Signs that advertise “lawnmower repairs”
Baptist and Methodist Churches
Sunoco gas stations
Red roofs
Deciduous Forests
Extremely friendly people

We stopped for lunch in Draper at the “Mercantile”. It was a really fun place and the meal was excellent. After lunch we sat on the porch in rocking chairs and just enjoyed the perfect day!

After a very lengthy R&R, we climbed back on the bikes and rolled another 25 miles to our hotel.

We heard about a Restaurant in Withville called “ The Loghouse”. Although we reluctantly had to climb back on the bikes to go the two miles to the restaurant, IT WAS WORTH IT!

It is a restaurant that dates back to 1776 and was frequented by many of the founders of our Nation. There was a brief interruption in its operation when the owner at the time was killed in the Civil War! The family took it over and it has continued generation after generation.
I was tempted to have Thomas Jefferson’s favorite beef stew but instead had Robert E Lee’s favorite Stuffed Pork.

It was a great finish to a wonderful day.

Tomorrow there will be a significant sustained climb as we make our way to Damascus.

We are both hoping our legs will be good.

We will let you know how it went tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Welcome sign for Bicyclists Welcome sign for Bicyclists
Welcome sign for Bicyclists

Very nice people everywhere we go.
Margaret giving us a tour.Margaret giving us a tour.
Margaret giving us a tour.

This is the Wilderness Museum
Wagon Train ModelsWagon Train Models
Wagon Train Models

On could spend a day reading and looking at all the displays
Margaret our docent guideMargaret our docent guide
Margaret our docent guide

She is a Marathoner and Triathlete
The Hance houseThe Hance house
The Hance house

This is a log home that was expanded for several generations
Our BikesOur Bikes
Our Bikes

People kept asking, “Why is he carrying all the bags?”


25th May 2018

Love all your blogs
Thank you for the very interesting blogs. You are a great writer, Bob. It helps us follow along and enjoy your epic adventure. Keep up the good work!

Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0852s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb